Slib bobber rather than a tip down

2/22/15 @ 8:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
MEMBER since 3/14/06
I was wondering if you guys that use slip bobbers instead of tip downs up on Petenwell and Castle Rock would be kind enough to share some tips. For starters, I'd imagine you want to use the smallest bobber possible that the minnow can't pull under. Probably keep the bail open, etc. Types of bobbers and tips, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
1/13/17 @ 5:31 PM
walkinboss
walkinboss
USER since 1/7/17

Finicky fooler is the answer... it goes off with less resistance than any tip up or tip down I've ever used. It's a tip up that allows you to use your rod and reel combo and you leave your bail open so it allows the fish to run with it unlike your typical tip down. I prefer this over slip bobbers because I don't like to clip any hardware to my line

Post Your Comment
1/13/17 @ 5:28 AM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04

Have you looked at the First Strike Indicators?   I use these paired with a Okuma Bait feeder reel and love them.  You don't have to keep the bail open and it will let you know when you have a bite.  Very little resistance when the fish is pulling line out.

Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 12:36 PM
1/12/17 @ 11:45 AM
thedevine
thedevine
USER since 11/15/09

(cold front) - I noticed the same thing in that you cant see the slip bobbers very well at distance like you can tip downs or tip ups... Does anyone know of a taller more visible type slip bobber that can be seen better at greater distance?  Thanks

Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 11:05 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

I have used both on Pete and there was no difference in effectiveness. It is just hard to spread out using slips because you can't see them from a distance. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 9:41 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

you can tune these to be neutrally buoyant.   

http://www.venomfloats.com/

very effective when dead sticked next to active jigging hole.  I believe often the bigger fish will turn off a spoon for more natural meal if fishing crappie or perch.   

fishing a dead stick constantly will slow you down though, so I really will only want to drop a rod after I find fish

Edited on 1/12/17 9:43 AM
Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 9:27 AM
UFCreel
UFCreel
USER since 1/4/11

I use the small Thill center sliders slip bobbers when fishing that way. Just make sure to weight it so that just the very tip of the bobber is above the water.

Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 8:40 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I've done it in a shack, but ever since I got a vexilar I jig now.  Like was said, you want enough weight that the bobber hardly floats, it might even be partially submerged.  That way when the fish bites the weight and bobber counter each other and there is hardly any resistance felt by the fish.  Used to catch crappies all the time in the past that way.

But yeah, the bobber can't freeze in the hole outside, so a shack is best unless its a t-shirt day.

Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 8:23 AM
Edge
Edge
MEMBER since 2/28/07
I've used them but I found it needs to be above 32 or in a heated shack

Post Your Comment
1/12/17 @ 8:07 AM
paddler1
paddler1
MEMBER since 12/10/14

Looks like the Smart Stop Bobbers may be the best for that application. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts