Releasing Badly Hooked Fish

1/3/16 @ 7:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Btown
Btown
USER since 4/7/10
Does anyone know the survival rate of walleyes/northerns that have a small treble hook in the gut? Occasionally a fish will swallow a bait yet I still want to release it if it has a reasonable chance to survive.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
1/19/16 @ 1:44 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
Get to your tip-ups sooner. A few years back I fished Yellow Lake near Spooner. Told some guys they had a flag. The attitude was "yeah we know, just letting it swallow the bait". This was in about 30 FOW. We took home 3 N. Pike that day 2 had little Walleye minnows and little Walleye hooks in their digestive tracts. Obvious that you wouldn't have a good day if you woke up with a lump in your throat and a string hanging from your mouth.

I have released some badly hooked fish, and on a private pond have caught them again. It seems in my opinion they are pretty tough.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 9:52 AM
dfresh
dfresh
USER since 1/2/06
Everyone who fishes should be educated on take out a deep set hook. here is a link to a youtube video to show you how to do it.

https://youtu.be/kCSx4PuLEnQ

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 8:25 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
lol,BM-12.

Short walleyes don't have enough meat to make the risk worthwhile - even if they're badly hooked.

An 18"?

There's not enough meat on ANY fish to violate just to for the meat. But if it's a case of "It'll just go to waste",I can understand it. Might have even done it in the past.

But I wouldn't do it now.

I got too many stupid,mostly drinking related tickets when I was younger ("Hold my beer and watch THIS!"). I never again want to be "that guy" standing there while an LEO is writing out a ticket.

It just looks degrading.

I wonder how many guys have their limit checked by a warden and the warden's about to leave when the guy's gear starts making "flopping" sounds.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 4:19 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
shove it in your pants....is that a walleye in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 10:25 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I have caught a fair number of bass and pike with misshapen gill rakers I'd guess they were damaged by hook removal and healed....I've probably caught some walleyes with healed gills too,but not as many.

I'm now thinking of an inland lake in WI with lake trout. If I leave tip-ups out much past sunrise I can almost guarantee that any flag will be a LT,not a walleye. They're fragile fish,they almost all bleed like crazy and they usually inhale a minnow and are hooked deeply...Season's closed on LT during wintertime on that lake.

I no longer use tip-ups on deep structure on that lake. Period.

On the other hand...I remember a trip when I had 4 walleyes on the ice when dense,dense fog rolled in. One flag went off and I filled my bag....Pack up my gear with the intent of collecting my "last" tippy on the way out. That flag was up when I reached it. Gut hooked walleye. Treble hook.

Always expect to be met by the warden at the launch....and always act as if he's on shore with binocs.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 9:11 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
I'd say the safest is if it legitimately is doomed for certain death is to call a warden and tell them what you have and I would suspect they'd either come get it, grant you permission to keep it or they may tell you to release it anyway. Can't hurt to call and ask.

Except for miniature panfish, I honestly don't recall ever catching a fish and have it die completely enough to be considered a carcass in the time it would take to take the hook out or cut it off. I really don't think a warden would buy the transporting to the garbage story. An illegal fish in your possession is just that regardless of your intentions.

Admittedly I've had muskies clamp on to short walleyes before I got them to the boat and knew there was no way it'd live if I released them. I just kept them and figured I'd take the ticket if I got caught.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 6:17 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
That was exactly my point. The answer I was given, is not in writing anywhere I could find, and I did a lot of research before I called. I was also saying the Warden might be having a bad day, which wouldn't be good, unless they all received this training about the issue. It's a very rare occurrence, but I know it happens. ...... I see fishermen throw dead Gills in by evidence of floating fish all the time. We just keep them and it becomes part of our limit, because size doesn't matter with the Pan fish. What I know IS in writing is throwing a carcass in the water or on the ground is illegal. Catch 22!!!!!!!

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 8:31 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
I don't doubt that one bit. I'm just saying I'd hate to see someone get pinched using that explanation.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 7:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Yes, I use octopus hooks on tip ups for walleye and pike. I even use them for steelhead when I fish them on tip ups.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 7:21 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Ayefeesh, As I stated, The DNR representative, who was an officer, told me this on the phone. Hope you feel better, get well soon.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts