Reels for Jig Poles

1/6/16 @ 2:16 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Putdowntheaquaview
Putdowntheaquaview
USER since 12/6/05
Looking at purchasing a few reels for my jig poles... They will be for pan fish but if I can get a second spool that will hold some 6-8 lb for walleye rods that would be great to. Any Suggestions? I have Pfluegers on some other rods but I would like to try something different.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
1/13/16 @ 9:10 PM
jwog666
jwog666
USER since 7/30/10
i did modify the base of the reel a bit so it wouyld fit into the holddown of the whiteout and not jack the screw to the side (picky i know) just used a bench grinder to reshape it so it fit perfectly. other that that i have done nothing to the reels since i got them and i picked them up the first year they came out.

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 9:08 PM
jwog666
jwog666
USER since 7/30/10
i use the white out as well, lol, have 2 setup the same with the eagle claw reels, so i can switch back between a small finesse jig and a larger jig without having to retie all the time lol

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 4:50 PM
Putdowntheaquaview
Putdowntheaquaview
USER since 12/6/05
I have the Whiteout 24"UL Rod from 13fishing and I love it. This is one of the poles the reel went on. The other one is a St Croix legend Silver series 24"UL its amazing how the 24" varies from pole to pole. I will adjust the tension adjustment as well thanks for that information. I think ill have a better feel for them once I start catching some fish.

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 1:35 PM
jwog666
jwog666
USER since 7/30/10
i use a different grip to hold these reels as i have a large hand, difficult to explain but i almost cup the back side of the reel, there are 2 adjustments on the reel, 1 is the drag and uses the starwheel on the crank, the other is the freespool tension, you have to adjust them together to get the right feel. i use a rod holder made by otter that is attached to the sled on my flipover to hold my rods and have had no problems. 13 fishing makes a similar reel for big bucks that feels a little better, but operates the same, but for the price difference you can buy 3 of the eagle claws, to 1 of the 13 reels

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 9:15 AM
Putdowntheaquaview
Putdowntheaquaview
USER since 12/6/05
I purchased two of the Eagle Claws, I like the idea of no twist and the straight line aspect of things. After hooking them up last night, I realized that the weight of the reel makes all my poles slant to the left. I'm not sure if I quite like that yet. Another thing I noticed is setting my pole down on the ice will be different than im use to. With spinning reels I use to be able to prop them up a certain way in which I could easily pick it up and set the hook if I were to get a bite. The Drag on the Eagle Claw seems a bit sketchy. I noticed when putting tension on the line as I spooled it that I was able to reel, but at times it was almost skipping a gear or not grabbing to spin the spool. I tightened up the drag and it seemed to work better but I wasn't to fond of the feeling. Is this normal? Im sure since I haven't fished with them yet im overreacting but my first impressions are a bit skeptical as of now.

Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 11:57 PM
jwog666
jwog666
USER since 7/30/10
i love the eagle claw inline as well, have 2 of them since they first came out, no issues, no jig spin, and the gear ratio makes reeling in from deeper water easy.

Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 8:27 PM
quarry hunter
quarry hunter
USER since 10/8/06
I have 2 of the Shimano 500 reels and called the company and ordered extra spools for my walleye rods. Put a quality micro swivel 18in above your bait if worried a about the spinning of the jigs.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 1:36 PM
cousincarmody
cousincarmody
USER since 2/9/10
I have definitely noticed a difference in my catch rate with a straight line reel, especially when the bite is tight. I'll second the eagle claw, it's not the best one out there but the price is unbeatable.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 7:51 PM
oldwalt
oldwalt
USER since 8/9/01
Eagle Claw in line ice reel. $ 24.00 free shipping Ebay . They'er great ! Check reviews for them @ Amazon.com Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts