propane heater ventilation

2/10/16 @ 9:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pike man15
Pike man15
USER since 1/15/15
I got a propane heater and I was wondering how to keep my shanty ventilated. Its going to be 0 degrees so any tip. First time using one.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/15/16 @ 9:03 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
You didn't say what kind of shack, but if it is a permanent shack, definitely get a carbon monoxide detector. They are cheap and can save your life. Every year we hear of people dying in their shacks from it.

Post Your Comment
2/12/16 @ 9:26 AM
Gone 4 Now
Gone 4 Now
USER since 4/26/08
All good advise. I don't know about using a lighter to test for oxygen thou, seems to me if the lighter don't lite you're already dead !

Post Your Comment
2/12/16 @ 8:22 AM
Namvet
Namvet
USER since 1/9/09
I carry a small, clip-on fan with me. It runs off of a 12v battery same as the flasher. I clip it to the top of my Clam Vista pop-up and it works to both ventilate and circulate the heat from the Mr. Buddy heater. Also, keep the vents at the top open.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 7:20 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Definitely keep a vent or two open. Even though they say they have a low oxygen shut off don't trust that 100%. It's better to play it safe. I carry along a lighter that I know works. Every so often if I'm hunkered down in my shack I'll light it. If it doesn't light or flickers more than it should it's time to open things up a bit more so it can air out some.

Post Your Comment
2/11/16 @ 7:04 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
The specs on that heater say it is ventless and has a low oxygen shutoff sensor.

That being said I would still let the shanty vent a small amount but no need to worry about a flue or chimney.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 9:24 PM
Pike man15
Pike man15
USER since 1/15/15
Its a dyna-glo tag along propane heater. I bought it off someone, not sure how old it is. He probably got it new like 5 years ago at most.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 9:14 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
What type of heater? Is it the newer ventless or the older style with burner?

Post Your Comment