Panfish jigging

2/5/16 @ 8:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
schlimdipper
schlimdipper
USER since 2/4/16
Im 17 been trying to jig for panfish all winter instead of tip up fishing like normal trying something new Ive caught 2 bluegill not sure what i've been doing wrong location gear any advice for a willing to learn young fisherman
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/7/16 @ 6:16 AM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02
Slim,

While electronics are a great asset to jigging for any fish over ice they are not absolutely essential. People tend to forget that back in the prehistoric era (1960s-19990's) Wink, people did catch fish without electronics. First of all try to fish around weeds 10 feet or less. This techniques is more efficient in shallow water. Put a small colored bobber stop on your line. Drop your jig to the bottom, allow it to free spool to the bottom or check the depth with a clip on depth finder. When you have the depth move the bobber stop til it marks the bottom then move it down a foot.( you will use this as a marker to know where you are fishing in the water column.)Start at the bottom, sometimes the fish are between the weeds on the bottom. Move up 6 inches jiggle , hold and raise another 6 " by raising your rod then drop your rod a foot. Repeat this procedure until you get 4-5 feet above the bottom. If you find you are getting bites at the same depth based on your bobber stop , move it to that depth.(Sometimes they will hit it when you raise the rod, sometimes when you hold it still and sometimes when it free falls. Vary your presentation and let the fish tell you how they want it. You need to watch their response (do they hit hard or just sucking it in) to determine a pattern. Finally like one person said find someone to help. There are 66 schools in the state that have ice fishing teams.http://studentfishing.com/index.html Contact your nearest school and I'm sure they would help or start your own ice fishing team. I am the adviser for the Waupun high school. If you live near Waupun message me and and you can fish with our ice team.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 4:25 PM
mattg589
mattg589
USER since 2/27/05
I don't jig unless I can use my camera. I usually won't spend more then 10 - 15 minutes at a spot unless I'm seeing and catching fish. With a camera, I can tell the exact size and species of the fish. More importantly I can see how the fish react to the bait. If I find fish, I usually don't have trouble catching them.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 1:46 PM
flipshack junkie
flipshack junkie
USER since 2/19/09
few tips. proper rod is important. something with a soft tip or spring bobber is a must to detect bites. i like the ice blue by HT, its a cheap fiberglass rod with a soft tip. light line like 2 lb test is important too. small jigs like size 12, 14, 16. a flasher is a great tool but if you don't have one i would highly suggest sight fishing as much as possible. close the windows in your shelter and you can see your bait a ways down in clear water. you can learn a lot by watching how fish react to your bait and jigging motion. heck, even if you have a flasher do some sight fishing anyways. like others said keep moving if you are not on fish. don't get discouraged, keep on trying. good luck.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 8:08 AM
Duke M
Duke M
USER since 1/12/09
The best shortcut to success would be to find a mentor. We all stand on the shoulders of those that preceded us. Sure, some of us are loners, but then again there are anglers who will share if approached correctly. Contribute what you can and be willing to learn.

Duke

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 5:00 AM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
Go online and read anything by Dave Genz regarding panfishing

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 11:00 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
USER since 12/19/14
Be mobile. Have to be willing to give up on a spot and move on.

Post Your Comment