Opinion on cordless drill auger

12/31/15 @ 4:10 PM
ORIGINAL POST
quacktalk
quacktalk
USER since 12/13/12
Was thinking about getting an auger and adapter, but wanted some input on how well they work.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
2/2/17 @ 4:29 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

the ion auger has a gear reduction to allow for better performance with larger augers, but has no benefits on 6 inch and smaller setups.   It is really tuned to 8 inches though and I was told by them that the reason you have to buy 10 inch auger separate is because it does not work well and they want customers to have an 8 inch auger on hand to reduce customer complaints.   

My Nils 6 inch drills just as good as lazer 5 inch.   That is significant statement because area of hole is 44% larger. 

Edited on 2/2/17 4:31 PM
Post Your Comment
2/2/17 @ 3:51 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Put an 8 inch auger on that and let's see how the speed compares. I use both types. I use the Milwaukee and 5 inch lazer for panfish and when I need a bigger hole, the Ion. If you have a hand drill with enough torque you could probably get by without the Ion and just have a couple of different sized augers. Both scenarios would work. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
2/2/17 @ 2:14 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
A Dewalt DCD991 will do the trick.  It comes with 2 5 amp batteries and I've yet to need to use the second battery while drilling holes.  Team that up with the Clam Adapter and a 5 or 6 inch Lazer auger and you'll be drilling holes faster than the Ion Auger and for half the price!  I still have my gas auger, but I doubt I'll use it except in the heaviest of ice years. 

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 9:37 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
Just tried a nills for the first time and that thing blows through ice. It was a 6in hand auger but immediately thought that would be the best for attaching to a drill. Also heard that k drill works amazing but haven't tried it myself yet. I like the nills also because it can be a hand auger/power auger so you could have just the one drill for all applications

Post Your Comment
1/10/16 @ 7:17 AM
Shellfish
Shellfish
USER since 7/19/03
Got a 20 volt Dewalt lithium drill for X-mas. I hooked it to a 5" lazer hand augar. I cut through 7inch's of ice in 2 seconds. I have only cut max of 10 holes at a time as of yet, but the battery showed no sign of slowing down. I keep spare battery in coat pocket. Hold on tight when drilling, lots of torque against your hands. For deeper, bigger holes I have a gas powered 8 inch drill.

Shellfish

Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 11:56 AM
flatlander68
flatlander68
USER since 1/24/06
I bought a rubber frisbee golf disc. cut a hole in the center to use as a safeguard for disconnect. flexes and wont crack. $7.00

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 9:33 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
I had a 6 inch lazer auger for couple years. Out on the ice one day seen a guy with a nils convertible auger. Stopped and asked him about it. He let me try it out. Needless to say 2 days later I went out and bought one. While I will never get rid of my power auger. The nils is worth every penny. Twice as good as a lazer IMO. Used with a 20 volt Dewalt. Like was mentioned before it floats on its own if it ever disconnects.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 9:13 PM
EYEfanatic
EYEfanatic
USER since 11/26/10
Sharp blades are a must. The clam plate works awesome. Used mu 8" Mora hand auger. Absolutely rips through the ice.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 3:36 PM
SumpinFishy
SumpinFishy
USER since 12/9/14
Milwaukee M18 with the XC4.0 lithium turning a 6" strike master auger one-handed while I hold my pole and vex in the other. 80 holes thru 6" ice per battery. So fast, worry-free, and convenient. I'd never buy a gas/propane auger.

The wood safety feature is a must, in case the drill let's go.... Which hasn't ever happened, but hey.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 10:00 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have used a 36V Lithium Bosch Hammer Drill for four seasons. I sold my gas auger three years ago. I use it all year with 5 inch lazer and never run out of battery power with the two fat packs.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts