New Gear 2018/19

7/11/18 @ 12:08 PM
ORIGINAL POST
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Thought I'd have to wait until September before getting excited about new gear being released, but I hear 13 fishing released their 2018/19 special edition of the BB freefall in purple at ICAST this week.

Can't wait to see what else this year brings!

Edited on 9/21/18 11:31 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 114 Posts
TODAY @ 9:25 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

If weight and cost aren't issues, the Otter Resort would be my choice. 

Post Your Comment
TODAY @ 9:22 PM
budman1987
budman1987
USER since 1/19/03

Seems this thread gets some traffic so here goes... I'm looking at finally buying my first 2-3 man shack this year...I currently only have a one manflip over but most of my fishing partners have 2 Man shacks.. my son is now 3 and if i dont take him this year he will for sure be tagging along next year..looking for a good 2 man flip over insulated shack..has to be big and roomy I'm 6'2 220 and my main ice fishing buddy is 6'4 300...looking for something well built and sturdy..something that will keep the wind out a few windows and at least one big door with quality zippers..weight not a big deal as will be pulling with a atv..price not a big deal either..I plan to go look around myself but sometimes buying online and being unable to see shanty first is only option.  Anyone have any good recommendations? Thank u kevin

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 1:41 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/10197/auger-complete-pistol-8-inch

It's the same price as the KD. Interesting to see how it runs and what the reviews will be.

I've always been a fan of chipper blades, especially for re-opening holes. This and the aluminum hex shaft seem to be the big differences. The Eskimo has what looks to be less flights, so there's your 1.1 lb weight difference I'd bet. The 8" is 3.9 vs KD's 5.

Eskimo states that it's cutting dia. is 8" which would beat KD's 7.5ish.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 12:27 PM
ChubSucker
ChubSucker
USER since 9/3/17

Thanks for posting the Sportsmens direct ad. That's a good deal.

I'll have to look at that eskimo auger. Anyway I can reduce the weight of my gear, I'm on board.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 11:29 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

I mentioned awhile back about a new auger bit coming out from a big name company but couldn't remember who, well here it is Eskimo pistol bit

This gets me excited. Type of auger set up argument aside, this brings a new option to the kdrill vs nils discussion. At 3.25# I that's almost 2# less than the kdrill. No ripper blades should make it more comparable to the nils speed. Best of both worlds?? Can't wait to see some reviews.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 8:08 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Dewalt's version of the Big Buddy heater, and I thought the Big Buddy's were overpriced... Dewalt Heater

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 8:04 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

I've downsized as well, but more so in terms of weight. My auger is 14 lbs, my electronics are GPS/Sonar in one, I run an Engel bait cooler instead of a 5 gal bucket. I just got sick of sweating by drilling holes and carrying bait out to holes.

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 8:03 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Sportsmens direct has last year's tungsten jigs on sale for .99 a piece with 6.99 standard shipping.

jigs

Edited on 9/21/18 8:04 AM
Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 6:35 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

I wonder what purpose of that net is in photo.   I can honestly say I have consistently been down sizing and don’t take one man shack out hardly at all anymore.  Pop up gets used with kids.  

Post Your Comment
9/20/18 @ 1:24 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

"To the casual 2-3 time per winter ice angler his/her interest could be limited because he can't afford that stuff or is unwilling to spend money on a hobby he/she doesn't partake in very often. Why should that individual get excited about introducing his/her kids to an activity that he/she perceives as not being cost effective? "

If somebody is a 2-3x a year ice person, odds are they aren't going to introduce anybody new to ice fishing because they simply aren't that interested in it. Let's not place $ as the reason why people don't ice fish, because that's not it.

The perception is that ice fishing is cold, dangerous and not as fast paced as open water fishing. Hell, I know die-hard open water guys who refuse to ice fish, not because they blew their $$ on boats and gear, but because they simply don't want to be uncomfortable.

It's more of an educational issue than it its economic from my point of view. The honest truth is this, the more you spend on ice fishing, the more comfortable you're going to be, in terms of warmth from the elements and in terms of making the sport easier. Which is the reason you're seeing your Old Timers not wearing Mickey Mouse surplus boots anymore, or why they're in Thermal flipovers instead of sitting on buckets.

Ice fishing mfgs make this sport as cheap and as expensive as possible. There's a 100% more selection in terms of price points than ever before.

So, do you need to spend money to be successful on the ice? I'd say to a degree, yes, yes you do. But  unlike other forms of open water fishing, the costs to do so can be spread out over time. One year a nice auger, the next a nice shack, the next electronics. So on, so on.

I don't think you blame the mfgs for making new, more expensive products, you have to look at the consumer who's demanding them.

The days of this guy are long over.....

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 114 Posts