Need a new flasher

8/16/15 @ 7:45 AM
ORIGINAL POST
TeamG
TeamG
USER since 4/28/08
Well the big garage sale is over and I sold all my old stuff so its time to upgrade. What kind of flashers should I look at and who has made to most improvements over the last 5 years? I haven't looked at the flasher market in a couple years. I have been squirreling money away for a while now so I can go big if need be.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
11/5/17 @ 4:28 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

The hummingbirds are nice but if you have one you better hope that the knobs don't break off. That's a common gripe about them simply because the cost to fix them stings big time.  If it doesn't break then good for you....if it does your under $400 flasher has now jumped to costing you well over $500.

I have an LX7 and use it enough in the winter to justify the cost....but I also run it on my boat and it's a great open water unit. Split the cost between the two seasons and it was a very reasonable solution. Snagged mine for under $600 new in the box. 

You might want to look around and see if you can get your hands on an LX1 or LX3. Marcum introduced a new line of flashers (M-series) which replaces the mechanical LX line. Plenty of those in inventory at places who want to get rid of them in favor of the new ones. Heck, right now you can get your hands on an LX5 for under $400.

Edited on 11/5/17 4:30 PM
Post Your Comment
11/5/17 @ 4:11 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

I sold my LX-5 last year and need something that is affordable and works well. I was thinking an Ice-45 as I want to stay under $400. I might use it 10 times a year so $700 for an LX-7 is out of the question. I like the big screen of the 45. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post Your Comment
10/14/15 @ 11:07 AM
hookinbiglips
hookinbiglips
USER since 2/25/07
Tim check out this deal

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Humminbird-Ice-Helix-5-Sonar-Gps-p/hum409730-1.htm?gclid=CMuxk6C5wsgCFRCqaQod7YYE3g&click=19

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 7:04 PM
Cheqmate
Cheqmate
USER since 4/22/14
I've just bought a Marcum LX 7 from Marine General, upgraded from the LX 5. $600 + $7 shipping. Ask for Jesse.

Post Your Comment
10/13/15 @ 10:41 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Went to Cabelas last night to get a new pair of boots. Looked at the Helix Ice 5. I liked it. Not sure about the price though,. I have to decide if I want the Helix 5 Ice which comes with a case, battery, charger and Ice Ducer for $449, or I can get the same unit with a summer ducer for $299 which would probably work better for mounting on the 4 wheeler. However the Ice Ducer is $80 bucks, and an additional power cord is probably $40. Not sure what I will do on this one.

Post Your Comment
10/12/15 @ 10:06 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I have a Vexilar FL22HD, Humminbird Ice 55, and last year I tried the Marcum LX7. The LX7 was heavy to drag around, might be nice if I was sitting in one spot all day, or in a permanent house. I liked the bottom scale on the FL22. I live the viewing screen size, colors and zoom options on the bird. Was contemplating another Ice 55 just to have, but I like the looks of that new Helix Ice 5, or what ever it is called.

Post Your Comment
10/12/15 @ 9:02 AM
wiel0059
wiel0059
USER since 6/20/14
Some insight from my experience. The Humminbirds with GPS that can take a LakeMaster map are great. However, every one of these, definitely has difficulty when fishing next to other flashers with interference (except for the Humminbird Ice Series Flashers). If you fish a lot with friends who have Marcums or Vexilars you will have issues with this.

I also have an Ice 35 that I used all last year and absolutely love it. Cheapest 'flasher' only I could find, and the screen is much larger than most. Also very simple to use and the zoom works wonderfully.

Right now, I actually use a combo of the Ice 35 and a Humminbird 385c. I use the 385c for the map, with the LakeMaster chip since the contours and accuracy make finding spots very easy. It just isn't that great of a flasher and I fish a lot with a friend with a Marcum and the interference is so bad it's almost unusable (I've seen people be able to tune them to fix this, I haven't had any luck), so I just the Ice 35 once set-up.

Post Your Comment
10/11/15 @ 11:04 PM
TeamG
TeamG
USER since 4/28/08
I see hummingbird has a digital out with gps and lake maps all in one. It looks cool I wonder who tested it and if there are any reports on it yet?

Post Your Comment
8/20/15 @ 8:36 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
I've got the LX-7 and really like it! I have converted many old school flasher guys after letting them use my LX-7 set on split screen with standard graph mode on one side (full water column) and graph bottom zoom mode on the other. Watching your bait and fish go up and down from a "side view" really makes a huge difference.

Post Your Comment
8/19/15 @ 2:10 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
When they price match and you go there it's a great deal.

Edited on 8/19/15 2:26 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts