mr heater sunflower mod

11/20/14 @ 5:14 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fletch Sweeney
Fletch Sweeney
USER since 1/17/10
Anyone ever modify one of the sunflower type heaters so it has a lower setting. I have one and on the low setting its gets too hot. Wondering of there is a way to reduce the low end ? thanks
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
2/3/15 @ 8:37 AM
Fletch Sweeney
Fletch Sweeney
USER since 1/17/10
EF I have one of the mr heater portable buddy heaters and I don't like it. it doesn't heat the same way. if its in my non thermal shack its not enough heat on some days, and it creates more frost inside. it was "OK" in my thermal shack but not as nice as my mod. I now have the perfect heater for any shack and situation by being able to adjust the btu's over a larger range. I'm not worried about being "safer" if I was I wouldn't go on the ice. Thanks for looking out for me though Smile

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 4:24 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
it would be a LOT safer to just get an indoor safe heater, especially if you plopped down all that dough for a thermal shack in the first place. I have a big buddy and a smaller dynaglo(now sold as "sunrite") and both are far more practical inside a shack than the old sunflower death trap heaters. they also go through a lot less propane, and you can back them right up against the wall of the shack without burning anything. they also travel a lot better from my experience, I have had two different sunflower style heaters burst into flames inside my shack.

Post Your Comment
2/2/15 @ 12:10 PM
Fletch Sweeney
Fletch Sweeney
USER since 1/17/10
OK, I broke the thermocouple(ground wire) on my heater so while I had it in the house to solder it back on I figured I'd try and modify it right away.. Super simple. you just pop off the black adjustment knob cap...you can then see the "steps" under the cap that control the 4 different settings..off, low, med. high. as you turn the knob the steps push a plunger down opening the valve more to allow more gas to come out. On top of the plunger there is a set screw that can be adjusted to change the BTU's of each setting. I unscrewed the set screw about 3/4's of a turn and I modified my heater so that basically my high is about the same as what the low is from the factory and now I can use it in my thermal shack without opening all the windows, plus I should now save gas. Don't blame me if you try the mod and burn your shack down Smile but it works for me. I also drilled a hole in the top of the cap so I can insert an allen wrench to adjust back if I need more heat in an uninsulated shack.

Post Your Comment
11/20/14 @ 9:10 PM
Rob K
Rob K
USER since 12/6/08
I would be pretty cautious when messing with those things. For it to be "safe" inside your shanty it needs to have an ideal burn of the propane, otherwise it will leak out carbon monoxide. CO poisoning is no joke and at the least you will feel nauseous and have a horrible headache, the line between that and passing out and eventually death is not that great. I like the sunflower heaters for 1 purpose only and that is to cook on.

Even with my Buddy heater I always leave the door unzipped at the bottom and normally crack open a window if I don't feel the top vents are letting the air out enough. This might be a good solution to your problem of being too hot as well. I know a lot of people use the mr heaters and have for many years and I am sure most have never had a problem with them. I have seen some malfunctioning ones before and have friends who experienced minor CO poisoning from one.

If you try to adjust your heater please be sure to have good ventilation in your shack and consider bringing a CO detector.

Post Your Comment