MidWinter Blues

1/30/15 @ 9:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
IceKid97
IceKid97
USER since 12/15/14
Looking for tips and suggestions on how to keep the fish coming in midwinter. I seem to catch fish in ice form and ice out but midwinter gets hard and they stop biting specially larger fish! Any suggestions?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 Posts
1/31/15 @ 7:02 AM
Duke M
Duke M
USER since 1/12/09
Concentrate on best times of day, early and late, best weather days, low pressure and overcast, remote spots that take some effort to reach, and pay attention to details. Here's an example from last Tuesday. I was using two spikes on a home made small jig, one red spike one white spike. Now the twist was, fresh spikes that were still alive and twisting on the hook would not draw a bite. Stretch the spikes so they hung limp and gently wave when gently jigged and I caught a nice mess of gills and crappies. Also realize you are fishing the mid Winter doldrums and adjust your expectations accordingly. Here was the Tuesday trip in a nutshell. Overcast, no one fishing the spot I wanted, drilled 16 holes, two hours (1) 13" crappie. Moved, fished 8 holes, another hour no bites. Major move to a different slough, 11 holes another hour no bites. Another move to another slough, 8 more holes, another lure change, a presentation tweak and modest success. 6 crappies, 6 gills, a short walleye, a big L.M. bass and something that took me into the backing line twice in the last 3 1/2 hours. I consider that a good late January trip.

Post Your Comment