Marcum lx-3 not working

1/12/15 @ 8:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishing4fish
fishing4fish
USER since 7/3/12
I bought a marcum lx-3 last year used at the end of the season. This is my first flasher so im not quite sure how to use it but i kinda do. I tried to use it this weekend but my jig wouldn't show up on the flasher. The battery was fully charged and i made sure the transducer was connected. What do you think is wrong with it? bad transducer? bad battery? thanks
Edited on 1/12/15 8:33 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
1/31/15 @ 3:12 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
I will look into those choices Marble...I know this amount of noise is not normal.

Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 7:17 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
If you want silence buy a marcum lx6/7 no noise what's so ever.All digital lcd, Have had my lx 7 for 3 seasons now no issues what so ever. Also run a bird ice 55 and it is pretty quiet also.

Edited on 1/29/15 7:19 PM
Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 6:53 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Well officially I have the worst luck..so I spent the big bucks and bought a Vexilar FL-18. Charged it and turned it on all good to go. Drove to Sturgeon Bay and turned it on and while it works it makes a lot of noise. I know flashers are not completely silent, but this one makes a slight squeal that after 20 minutes I got a headache and had to turn it off. I hated fishing blind so I periodically turned it on for as long as I could stand it. Amazing how good silence in the shack is when I turned it off. I guess Fleet Farm will get another visit from me to exchange it. Good news is they got a gift card promotion going now so I will get $ for my trouble.

Edited on 1/29/15 6:54 PM
Post Your Comment
1/22/15 @ 1:14 PM
beav-man
beav-man
USER since 2/10/02
i'm probably too late, but don't buy a new unit. i have an LX3 that had similar problems. call marcum or go on their website under the service area and fill out your information to get a return authorization number and send it in. the cost is a flat rate plus shipping that cost $90.00 total. i got my unit back in 1 week. the paper work said i was shipped a new unit plus a new transducer. i had it out all last weekend and it worked great. much cheaper than buying a new one. good luck!!

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 10:30 PM
wifishman
wifishman
USER since 8/23/09
It is most likely your motor in the head. This is a common problem with Marcums. if you have the receipt, there should be a 2 year warranty. I had the same problem with mine after a season of use and had to send it in. After i got it fixed I haven't had a problem since. It has been 4 seasons now but I do have some buddies who have the same reoccurring problem.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 2:54 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Not the battery..I used my buddies battery that worked on his and no go. I pulled the unit apart and it appears the motor that spins the flasher is shot and nothing to do with the transducer. I am just going to buy a new unit. I am selling the scraps of my old one or they could call Marcum and see what they charge.

Edited on 1/20/15 5:12 PM
Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 7:54 AM
Ice Junky
Ice Junky
USER since 8/21/09
I had similar issue with my LX-3 a few years back and it was the transducer - looks like Marcum tranducers are on sale with free shipping the next couple days.

1/18/15 @ 7:47 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
Fly- most likely the battery is shot, but have seen a bad ducer do the same symptom you are describing.

Post Your Comment
1/18/15 @ 3:53 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
I have a vx-1 model and mine stopped working also...it flasher does not spin and just makes a solid beep noise. I am first trying to charge the battery since it might have been low. The unit is about 5 years old with original battery. Next step if that doesn't work I will try a new battery. I fear fried transducer. Any suggestions or anyone had this before?

Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 8:39 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Even though the extra 'ducer cable is tucked inside the unit and possibly coiled up in there,if the last bit of cable is "bent" over the edge of the hole instead of hanging straight down that can sometimes reduce sensitivity by quite a bit.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts