Marcum lx-3 not working

1/12/15 @ 7:32 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishing4fish
fishing4fish
USER since 7/3/12
I bought a marcum lx-3 last year used at the end of the season. This is my first flasher so im not quite sure how to use it but i kinda do. I tried to use it this weekend but my jig wouldn't show up on the flasher. The battery was fully charged and i made sure the transducer was connected. What do you think is wrong with it? bad transducer? bad battery? thanks
Edited on 1/12/15 7:33 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
1/31/15 @ 2:12 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
I will look into those choices Marble...I know this amount of noise is not normal.

Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 6:17 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
If you want silence buy a marcum lx6/7 no noise what's so ever.All digital lcd, Have had my lx 7 for 3 seasons now no issues what so ever. Also run a bird ice 55 and it is pretty quiet also.

Edited on 1/29/15 6:19 PM
Post Your Comment
1/29/15 @ 5:53 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Well officially I have the worst luck..so I spent the big bucks and bought a Vexilar FL-18. Charged it and turned it on all good to go. Drove to Sturgeon Bay and turned it on and while it works it makes a lot of noise. I know flashers are not completely silent, but this one makes a slight squeal that after 20 minutes I got a headache and had to turn it off. I hated fishing blind so I periodically turned it on for as long as I could stand it. Amazing how good silence in the shack is when I turned it off. I guess Fleet Farm will get another visit from me to exchange it. Good news is they got a gift card promotion going now so I will get $ for my trouble.

Edited on 1/29/15 5:54 PM
Post Your Comment
1/22/15 @ 12:14 PM
beav-man
beav-man
USER since 2/10/02
i'm probably too late, but don't buy a new unit. i have an LX3 that had similar problems. call marcum or go on their website under the service area and fill out your information to get a return authorization number and send it in. the cost is a flat rate plus shipping that cost $90.00 total. i got my unit back in 1 week. the paper work said i was shipped a new unit plus a new transducer. i had it out all last weekend and it worked great. much cheaper than buying a new one. good luck!!

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 9:30 PM
wifishman
wifishman
USER since 8/23/09
It is most likely your motor in the head. This is a common problem with Marcums. if you have the receipt, there should be a 2 year warranty. I had the same problem with mine after a season of use and had to send it in. After i got it fixed I haven't had a problem since. It has been 4 seasons now but I do have some buddies who have the same reoccurring problem.

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 1:54 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
Not the battery..I used my buddies battery that worked on his and no go. I pulled the unit apart and it appears the motor that spins the flasher is shot and nothing to do with the transducer. I am just going to buy a new unit. I am selling the scraps of my old one or they could call Marcum and see what they charge.

Edited on 1/20/15 4:12 PM
Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 6:54 AM
Ice Junky
Ice Junky
USER since 8/21/09
I had similar issue with my LX-3 a few years back and it was the transducer - looks like Marcum tranducers are on sale with free shipping the next couple days.

1/18/15 @ 6:47 PM
marbleeyes7
marbleeyes7
USER since 4/1/12
Fly- most likely the battery is shot, but have seen a bad ducer do the same symptom you are describing.

Post Your Comment
1/18/15 @ 2:53 PM
FlyAllDay
FlyAllDay
USER since 11/2/04
I have a vx-1 model and mine stopped working also...it flasher does not spin and just makes a solid beep noise. I am first trying to charge the battery since it might have been low. The unit is about 5 years old with original battery. Next step if that doesn't work I will try a new battery. I fear fried transducer. Any suggestions or anyone had this before?

Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 6:59 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
Make sure gain is turned up enough... although I have an lx-5 and rarely need to go above 2. Also, make sure the ducer isn't covered with a layer of ice. I've had that happen before and my signal was dampened. Lastly, make sure you're not fishing in an area of current... current could take a small jig and move it out of the cone.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts