March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 30 Posts
4/2/18 @ 9:25 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

As much as I like March Ice Fishing (and March was good to me), April ice fishing might be even better than March this year!

Edited on 4/2/18 9:52 AM
Post Your Comment
3/30/18 @ 3:40 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Cool! Hope you get a few more weeks in. I didn’t think Iowa had many lakes due to my time in the Dubuque area for college. Glad you have those opportunities! 

Post Your Comment
3/30/18 @ 2:10 AM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

We have walleye and muskie seasons but no pike or bass seasons. There are only a few lakes in Iowa that have seasons, i fish on a couple of those.

Post Your Comment
3/30/18 @ 12:05 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Sounds like some good March fishing on the ice. You must live in an area that allows game fish to be open year round. That's always fun to be able to fish past the regular season like that. Used to do that on Puckaway years ago. Felt like a bonus. 

Post Your Comment
3/29/18 @ 11:34 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

I made it out 2 more days, yesterday and today. Lots of small pike, 1 walleye at 26" YAY!, and plenty of panfish. No pike over 24". I soaked some big suckers, maybe 11", but no takers on that. Small creek chubs and shiners got bites though.

Post Your Comment
3/27/18 @ 2:08 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

That's good news. As long as the nights stay 5 plus degrees below freezing, we can withstand the warm ups for a while at least. Love this long season. Ice fished Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March, and hopefully sometime in April this year!

Post Your Comment
3/27/18 @ 1:01 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

That forecast for N WI is looking amazing for April too.

Post Your Comment
3/27/18 @ 12:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Great day on the ice yesterday. Barometer was falling. They were biting! I love March ice fishing!

Post Your Comment
3/24/18 @ 6:00 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

I told my wife I was going to keep a chub tank again and she said she would rather I spent $6-10 every day on bait. I like getting my own because I can pick and choose the size I want

Post Your Comment
3/24/18 @ 4:12 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Got out today. Gorgeous sunrise. Beautiful day. Lots of ice. But, fishing was poor. Oh well.

About minnows, for whatever reason, shiners and suckers are a lot cheaper in Northern Wi I've found. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 30 Posts