March fishing trip

2/17/15 @ 4:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pike man15
Pike man15
USER since 1/15/15
I am wondering if I should put tip ups on the ice in the first week of March. Also wondering of good pan fishing in Madison wi. Tips ups for pike and bass. Also should I not go for pike and bass instead put crappie minnions on the tip up and go for pan fish. Thank you
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/18/15 @ 6:55 PM
Boder
Boder
USER since 2/13/03
Pike man, i would check out the reports section for the madison lake a week or two before you go and see where people are catching fish. Threads you will want to read would be monona, mendota, wingra. Thinking monona is gonna be your best bet though.

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 4:11 PM
Pike man15
Pike man15
USER since 1/15/15
Thanks for the information and also I am also wondering what lakes to go to for pan fish in Madison wi. I am only 13 and don't keep the fish. I am from Illinois and my family is just visting one of our moms friends in Madison. My mom will take me but we don't know where to go. We usally go to Monona bay but I only caught 1 pike and we have gone 2 times. Thank u in advance

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 9:41 AM
badgerstatehunter
badgerstatehunter
USER since 2/6/06
"2/18/15 10:30 AM CST "make sure the body of water you're fishing on is still open for gamefish if you're fishing tipups for pike and bass in march" This always makes me laugh. The folly of believing you can't use tip-ups just because the gamefish season is closed. If you are targeting panfish then you are well within the rules. Hanging dead bait and 6 inch minnows under them is an issue, using smaller minnows or wax worms is not. Tip-ups are an exceptional tool when pursuing panfish but many don't even consider this thinking they are strictly a means of targeting gamefish."

i agree with you. that is why i stated "for pike and bass". i didn't simply say just tipups. and i stated that exact line in response to the op who specified tipups for bass and pike in his post.

Edited on 2/18/15 9:44 AM
Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 9:30 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
"make sure the body of water you're fishing on is still open for gamefish if you're fishing tipups for pike and bass in march"

This always makes me laugh. The folly of believing you can't use tip-ups just because the gamefish season is closed. If you are targeting panfish then you are well within the rules. Hanging dead bait and 6 inch minnows under them is an issue, using smaller minnows or wax worms is not. Tip-ups are an exceptional tool when pursuing panfish but many don't even consider this thinking they are strictly a means of targeting gamefish.

Post Your Comment
2/18/15 @ 8:05 AM
badgerstatehunter
badgerstatehunter
USER since 2/6/06
make sure the body of water you're fishing on is still open for gamefish if you're fishing tipups for pike and bass in march.

Post Your Comment
2/17/15 @ 6:20 PM
Boder
Boder
USER since 2/13/03
First week off march can be feast or famine for tip ups in my experience. Think it depends on the kind of winter we have had and the current weather pattern.

Fishing in March for panfish is primetime. The later the better. If you are able to get out and fish a lot i would give the tip ups one last chance then spend the rest of the year chasing pannies.

Post Your Comment