SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

looking at buying a new auger

2/12/14 @ 11:23 AM
INITIAL POST
30''walters
User since 1/22/12
heard some negative feedback on the new Honda strikemaster, don't really know what to belief though. any opinions there would be appreciated. never been that big of a jiffy guy because the model thirty I had was not a very dependable auger but not ruling out the new propane jiff. might just watch cl to see whats out there. if I could find one of the early 2000 strikemasters with the Tecumseh motor for a descent price that may be an option also. also curious for a little info on the german solo engines. thanks for any info and good luck on the water
Displaying 21 to 30 of 53 posts
10/19/14 @ 7:20 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/02
LOL.......My Jiffy propane fires on the second pull EVERYTIME. 3 years and 50 days a year on the ice. I spray my blades a couple times during the season with silicone and DO NOT ice up..... AND I am usually done drilling before my gas auger buddies get there first hole done. I never have gas spills or worry about mixing my fuels. I can also drill in the permanent and not smell exhaust for the next 2 hours
10/18/14 @ 3:37 PM
JustPerchinAround
User since 1/16/14
I have been using my Eskimo Mako for 8 years now. It starts and runs as well today as it did the day I took it out if the box. My buddy has the new Jiffy that runs on propane. He might be slightly faster than me, but I have noticed ice build up on his blades being a problem. Also, in some of the extreme cold weather I would have two or three drills holes drilled while he was still fighting to start the Jiffy. The only negative about my eskimo is that it is a few pounds heavier than some of the new "light" models, but I guess I don't have a problem sacrificing a couple of pounds for proven reliability.
3/7/14 @ 12:17 PM
walleye44
User since 12/18/13
Do not forget to check out a NILs auger. You get a handle & a power head. Switch out is easy! Fastest auger out there, a 7 year warranty & Light weight too. No need for extension, but can buy a shorter model if you are not a tall guy. I love this auger!
3/6/14 @ 3:32 PM
Foundry Rat
User since 1/21/10
I just got a Polar Fire by HT Enterprise. I had a Jiffy lite and wanted to be able to use the auger as a spare for the new power head. They rotate the same direction. Monday was record lows in Green Bay, -24. The Polar Fire worked flawlessly while my dads new Jiffy propane failed to work. The Polar Fire also has a longer shaft and a tapered bottom to the power head. It can cut thru almost the same thickness of ice as a model 30 Jiffy with an extension installed. It will never need the extension on it. The blades and chisel point are replaceable and controls can be worked in heavy gloves. I'm quite happy with it.
2/23/14 @ 10:48 AM
30''walters
User since 1/22/12
ThankS for all the info everyone. Have yet to pull the trigger on anything. Been a crazy last few months at work so my ice fishing season has been very slim pickings. Might hold off and wait until things get cheaper at the end of the season then see what I can find. Or who knows maybe they'll come out with something so cool later this year I'll have to wait and check it out. Thanks again and good fishing
2/19/14 @ 10:00 AM
Cold hands
User since 9/11/10
Just a question my electric drill stops and goes. Takes forever to drill a hole do I have it on the wrong setting does anybody have a answer for this
2/18/14 @ 10:41 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Ulbian-In your scenario presented where you are drilling that many holes, I have no argument. The ION might not be the best choice. But, that's a very rare if a never situation for me, but in your case, I hear ya. The ION has been great for me during the cold and thick ice this year. Give me a winter like most we've had in the last 10 years and the ION is even better. Plus, early ice, cutting 4 inch holes, I think the ION would probably do 400 or so. And the lightweight feature is so nice. Right now, with all the ice, I bet 25 - 30 holes is the max it could handle. So, the ION at late ice is probably not a good choice for those that drill a lot. But, with the 2 feet of snow we have up here and the 30 inches of ice, I don't know a lot of guys that are walking around a whole lot and drilling more than a dozen holes these days. I'm 6' 2 and I worried that the ION would be too small, but it's not. When I put the 1 foot extension on last weekend, it actually felt way too big. I'd rather have an auger at my ribs than my neck. And it fits in the sled great too which is nice. But, a battery is something that not everybody wants. It comes down to what you like. I think the ION will just get lighter and lighter and be able to drill 10 inch holes within the next 5 years. (Hoping so).
2/18/14 @ 7:51 PM
diabetik11
User since 5/5/11
i have a strikemaster lazer mag and i would not trade it for the world runs great always starts and drills fast and does not bog down at all. i compared it to a friends new jiffy pro lite(propane auger) and i would not want that thing if it was given to me for free. my strikemaster is lighter faster and cuts through the hole with out having it bog down on me. mine has constant power all the way to the end. mine is new also
2/18/14 @ 4:25 PM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05
I just got the jiffy 4G Lite. really nice. always have used eskimoes in the past. much lighter. need to need to lean on the drill...just hold onto the handles. love it so far. plus not having gas mix is great. the gas cap doesn't have a vent cap either. no gas leaking.
2/18/14 @ 4:12 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09
well those jiffy pros are sweet. I dont think they are 500 dollers sweet, but they are nice. I drilled about 100 holes with a eight inch. I think they were 3 horse augers. Im glad I got a good auger. I dont plan on drilling that many holes until they need help next year.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 53 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE