Line preference for pannies 2 lb, 4lb, or micro braid with leader?

2/2/16 @ 3:04 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pointer Eye Slayer
Pointer Eye Slayer
USER since 4/12/09
Hi, I've been struggling with my line now for some time. For the longest time I used 2 lb Vanish. I've been having lots of fish break off as of late so I stepped it up to 4 lb. Now, even with a strait line fly reel, the line is to heavy and retains to much memory to detect light bites using small tungsten jigs. Do you recommend doing a micro braid with leader? Other ideas?.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
2/3/16 @ 6:51 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
2lb trilene clear micro ice on every one of my sunny/crappie combos. Even use 2 lb with small spoons for whitebass with 6 lb leader. I use 4lb hi vis with 6lb floro leader for walleye and have got some up to 24in on that. Next year when I spool up I'm going to try some fire line crystal on another walleye rod that I have 6lb hi vis on. I'll never put anything over 6lb mono on again but I also don't go over #5 jigging raps in wieght and don't fish much over 20fow.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 3:58 PM
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
For small jigs and plastics I run 2 lb mono, typically trilene micro ice. For panfish spoons and jigging raps I run 3-4 lb braid and 2-4 lb fluoro leader connected via swivel. I mainly fish outside of a shack, and agree that braid is more difficult to fish with due to freezing. I've tried 1lb braid for finesse jigging and the ice that formed on the line made it very difficult to detect light bites. The ice that forms on braid is very easy to strip off by hand, but I broke the 1 lb several times while doing so. That being said, I will never, ever, ever spool with anything other than braid on rods that are dedicated to fishing small spoons and raps. A fair amount of my fishing is done over 20 FOW, and braid is plain and simple WAY more sensitive than mono or fluoro and is easier to bury the hook with. I've tried fishing mono again in 40 FOW and it feels like you're fishing with a rubber band.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 1:45 PM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04
1# Fireline Crystal has a breaking strength closer to 3-4#

The difference in stiffness/suppleness between 1# & 2# Fireline Crystal is astonishing. (2# is much stiffer and sucks for small jigs)

1# Fireline Crystal costs more than mono up front, but you can easily get 2 years, maybe 3 of off it before you need to change it, so it is actually cheaper. (I used to change line on my mono rods twice a year)

Yes, it is better to use in a shack, but 1# is still very usable outside.

I use 1 & 2 lb leaders with a small swivel with the 1# braid. IMHO, it is by far the best panfish set-up you can use.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 1:21 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I use 2lb sealine fluorocarbon on my gill rods and 6lb on my crappie rods. My spoon/swim jig rod has micro braid to a leader, mostly because that is only rod without a spring bobber. I found most braids will hold water and freeze, and the benefit of not twisting up on spool was loss when I switched to fly reels.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 1:11 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Agree on vanish. Brittle in my opinion. I like 2 lb mono for the most part. Sufix. 3 lb floro if its available and generally for crappie.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 10:36 AM
smoothsmitty
smoothsmitty
USER since 12/22/11
Micro braid with leader is good set up, especially in deeper water. I will say if your not in a shack out of cold that braid freezes up more so than mono/fluorocarbon . I've been fishing 2lb fluorocarbon and notice I have to pay special attention when fighting a fish to keep line from rubbing side of ice hole as I have had it snap on holes edge. I would tie leader using a small swivel as that keeps your bait from spinning around in strike zone.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 9:54 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Others may disagree but I have thrown out every spool of Vanish that I have ever bought. It is too soft and not tough enough for light lines.That has been my personal experience. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 8:30 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
2 lb micro ice works fine for me. Haven't had a break off in quite a while. Biggest fish I've caught on it have been an 18" walleye and bass on accident, held up for those.

Post Your Comment
2/3/16 @ 6:25 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I ice fish mostly the Madison chain of lakes. The water is relatively clear in the winter, you can usually see down about 8 feet. I like to use long rods with the line that goes through the rod due to wind resistance while fishing standing up. I tried 2 pound test for a while, but my line broke several times inside the rod, so I switched to 4 pound line, usually Berkley Cold Weather but I've used other lines as well. I got a tip from a guide one year to use a 1 lb leader about 18" to 3 feet in length. I directly tie the two together. I asked him if the line ever breaks and he told me it will break on bigger fish, but not where you tie the two together. That's actually one of the strongest parts of the line, where you tie the two together. Since using a 1 pound line leader I've gotten broke off once, and that was a big fish that snapped my rod as well! There are days when I'm fishing with my dad or friends and I've outfished them 3 to 1, so I'm a firm believer in using 1 pound line, at least jigging for bluegills. You may lose 1 or two, but you'll get a lot more bites. BTW, the 1 pound line I do use is fluorocarbon. It gets frayed a little from rubbing against the ice several times, so I always check it at the end of the day and replace it if needed.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 10:43 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
I mainly use 3 lb Micro Ice. Do I catch more panfish under tough conditions on 2 lb? Of course. And there is always a rod rigged with 2 lb in my sled. But almost every really big fish I accidently hook while panfishing breaks the 2 lb line. The last week I was jigging for crappie with small Northland spoons and 3 lb line. Twice, I hooked big pike that were trailing the schools of crappie. Landed a 29 1/2 inch and a whopping 34 inch pike that I definately would have lost on 2 lb line. Last year I also landed a 5.5 lb largemouth on the 3 lb line.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts