SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Lighter Battery for vex

1/22/18 @ 3:16 PM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Does anyone make a lighter lithium battery for Vex flashers? Think how sweeeeeet it would be to cut off a couple pounds from the battery weight on your finder. Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
2/23/18 @ 6:36 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

I have used my 12v milwaukee batterys for not only my Marcum but also my shanty lights. I have 4 of them and they are super easy to charge as I have 2 chargers. They are marked +/- on the top. Use regular spade terminals and they plug right in.  

2/23/18 @ 12:08 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I have been using my Vex charger and it works fine. Mrt.

2/23/18 @ 12:20 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
User since 1/12/09

According to their site you can use a standard 12 volt charger like vexilar or marcum use.  

Bacon

2/21/18 @ 11:36 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Anybody know if the Dakota lithium need a special charger

2/19/18 @ 8:24 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
User since 1/12/09

Tim, it depends on how the battery is built.  Some lithium batteries have a built in controller so all it needs is a regular 12 volt charger.  Some do not have the controller built in so you need a controlled charger for that specific sized battery.  Drill batteries need that brands particular charger.  I don't know about Dakota's.  But I think they have a controller in it.

Bacon

2/16/18 @ 8:55 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Do you need to buy a special lithium battery charger too?

2/13/18 @ 2:27 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

About as light as you can get. 1.5 amp/hr

2/12/18 @ 11:56 PM
rkempka
User since 1/6/18

Look into a rc car battery.

1/27/18 @ 1:05 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
User since 1/12/09

For those of you trying out your drill batteries, check out buck converters or Amazon, or also look up dc-dc converters.  I've got one marcum running with a Hodge podged converter using spade terminals slide into the battery + and - ports.  Works fine. Spent 20 hours outside in negative temps and didn't even use close to half of the battery.  On my other marcum I did up a little cleaner. Same principle as the Milwaukee m18 power source mentioned in other comments.  But I used a knock off unit that was only $18 instead of $40.  I added a $0.70 buck converter the size of my thumb nail.  Had to drill a hold for my wires to come out and bolted the whole unit to the marcum carrier.  Battery slides in top load style.  And my 9ah batter will run it for days as well as be available to be used to drill holes.  I'd post photos but I don't feel like going out to the truck.  But anyone want more info or pics I would be happy to post it later.  Bacon

1/26/18 @ 10:56 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Just picked up a Dakota 12v 10 Ah at the Boat Doc. Now if I can only get the screws out on the bottom of my Vex to put it in the unit. I have them soaking in Liquid Wrench. Hope it works. Mrt.

1/26/18 @ 6:48 AM
luremaker
User since 1/23/12

Check out batteries plus. They have a lot of lithium ones that are reasonable

1/23/18 @ 5:06 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

You could buy one of the 12v that are like half the size of the standard 7 or 9.  Just will cut down on run time.  Unless you fish 8+ hours I don't think it would run low

1/23/18 @ 4:41 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I'm in the process of using my Milwaukee Electric tool 18V 5ah battery for my Helix 7.  Milwaukee has a 12v power source that your 18v battery slides into. Makie up a lead with a 5mm female plug and you shave about 1/2 the weight off of a standard gel cell.

Lighter Battery for vex photo by USAbrams1991
1/23/18 @ 4:36 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

I'm actually in the process of figuring out how to use the Ryobi 40V 5Ah lithium pack from my mower, or the 40V 5AH pack from my Ion auger, for powering a vex.

These batteries weigh about 3#, and have a capacity of 180Wh.  More than double the capacity of 12V 7AH (84Wh) SLA batteries, at half the weight.

And in the case of the Ryobi battery, it just sits idle all winter.  Need to purchase an appropriately rated buck converter to create the 12V, and verify the battery protects itself from over-discharge (I hope so).

Will post results....

1/23/18 @ 3:18 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Looks like the standard batteries weigh about 5 plus pounds. May have to pull the trigger on one. Mrt. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE