LCD screens for ice fishing?

2/25/14 @ 2:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Is there a fish locator with a LCD screen that works in cold conditions? What I want is a portable unit for use in ice fishing and in my kayak during the summer. Any ideas are appreciated
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
9/25/14 @ 10:59 PM
ultramicro
ultramicro
USER since 6/17/11
X2 with Bernie23!

The Troller can be used successfully by shooting through the hull of a plastic kayak, with the transducer inside the hull and resting vertically on a wet surface (I've done it myself). I've also used it successfully many times for ice fishing, from 5' to 65'. My Showdown Troller is my primary kayak sonar and my backup ice sonar. Get rechargeable AA batteries and appropriate chargers and you'll get tremendous value from that device!

Good fishing! Smile

Post Your Comment
9/9/14 @ 7:19 PM
Bernie23
Bernie23
USER since 12/30/13
Get the Marcum Showdown Troller, all the features of a flasher on an LCD display with ice mode so it won't freeze. There like 200 new and make a float and you can use it for your kayak. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
9/1/14 @ 12:49 PM
Fargin_icehole
Fargin_icehole
USER since 1/12/11
I bought a H-bird 597ci and used it on the ice and is compatible with both my transducers for my boat and one for my canoe. One stop shop. AND built in GPS.

Post Your Comment
3/11/14 @ 11:46 AM
Musky on fly
Musky on fly
USER since 3/10/13
Yes get the vexilar sonar phone. 130$ at gander. Works with smartphone or tablet. Perfect for what you want

Post Your Comment
3/3/14 @ 6:43 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Viking, Thats the kind of product I am looking for, thanks for the lead. It doesnt have the GPS of other units but since I do mostly smaller lakes and the Wolf the GPS would be mostly entertainment anyway. And no GPS brings the price down into my budget.

Felco, I see your point point and agree but for my purposes I have to keep the price down. Got one more kid to put thru college.

Many thanks

Edited on 3/3/14 7:19 PM
Post Your Comment
3/2/14 @ 5:25 PM
Edward Felcohands
Edward Felcohands
USER since 2/24/09
My parents used to have a VCR/DVD that was one machine with both functions. It did two things, but was never very good at either one of them. Eventually it stopped working and they bought separate machines that were each very good at their own job. I find that this phenomenon translates well to most technology, so I would buy the more important one first and then save up until you can afford the other. That way, you end up with two good things instead of one crappy thing.

You won't find a decent ice flasher for less than 400 regular price, so you're certainly not going to find a decent flasher plus all that other stuff you want for summer for anywhere near 300. you can do alright on a kayak locator for less than 200, and maybe wait a while to get the ice locator. My kayak locator cost me 100 bucks and it does everything i need it to do with minimal weight and it is waterproof. My ice flashers (I have two marcums right now) cost a hell of a lot more because I have more specific demands from an ice flasher than i do from a kayak locator. They will never come in the kayak with me.

Edited on 3/2/14 5:43 PM
Post Your Comment
3/2/14 @ 2:37 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
OK, Ive spent the last few days looking at the possibility of 4 season fish locators, good for summer as well as ice fishing. There is definitely some setups available but i am surprised at the lack of offerings and promotions as I thought this would be an item heavily demanded by northern fisherfolks.

Trying to keep the price under 300 which may be wishful thinking.

H-Bird has a 385 model, looks very capable but doesnt seem heavily promoted.

The Lowrance Elite 4 has some options though limited because their ice transducer isnt compatable with down scan imaging nor their hybrid imaging units.

Ive never owned a fish locator so this has become an enlightening and confusing study. Most confusing because the companies arent up front about which models are compatable with ice transducers. Lowrance claims thier ducer isnt compatable with any of the elite 4 models but customer reviews at Cabelas indicates otherwise. If anyone has more ideas or comments feel free to chime in.

Edited on 3/2/14 2:39 PM
Post Your Comment
2/25/14 @ 4:05 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Good info. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
2/25/14 @ 2:57 PM
Boder
Boder
USER since 2/13/03
Yes there are a lot of options out there. Most commonly Lowrance makes an elite 4 or an elite 5. Or olders models like the x67c or m68c. Hummingbird also has some offerings. Marcum has also recently came out with ghe lx6, lx7, and lx9 but not sure how those cross over to open water.

Post Your Comment