SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Larry Smith Pike on Hot dogs

12/10/18 @ 12:29 PM
INITIAL POST
Stevekeno
User since 12/21/08

Check out the new show catching Pike on Hot Dogs!  Not sure what lake they are fishing, but a pretty good day of pike fishing.

Larry Smith show PIke

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
12/23/19 @ 9:47 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Not Just Hot Dogs Work!

12/22/19 @ 1:51 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

The cheap hotdogs work as good as the more expensive ones.And I have used a small strip of bacon fat for panfish,don't need much.Works just as good as with bugs/grubs.

12/13/18 @ 9:22 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Hot dogs work for panfish too if you use small chunks.  Also bacon but its a waste of bacon.

Tootsie rolls will catch bullheads.  Did that one year as a kid after a parade.  Ran out of bait, as a joke put them on and caught a ton of bullheads.

12/12/18 @ 4:07 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Is there a specific brand/style of hot dog that works better?

I had tip ups out this past weekend.  One with a dead smelt and two with the cheapest hot dogs I could find ($0.99 for a 8-pack).  Not one flag.  My neighbor was using medium goldens.  He iced a nice 28" pike.  I will continue to put out one tip up with a hot dog on it but will go back to live bait until the hot dog thing proves itself successful.

12/12/18 @ 1:32 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

I see that they also have a new location in Fox Lake. That is what made me think it was Fox Lake that they were fishing. Will have to try the hot dog bit next time I try fishing for northern.

12/12/18 @ 11:25 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I fish wi- 

I am still a bit skeptical. However I’m sure they work. Just not sure they work as well as live bait. A hotdog verse a dead smelt-that would be an interesting experiment. They sure are cheap. And less hassle buying them ahead of time etc.… And easy to work with  and you don’t have to keep them alive, so I can see the advantages.

12/11/18 @ 11:06 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I've never tried it either. But I guess it makes sense. And, like Jaybee said, very affordable. Do you think Brats would work too?

12/11/18 @ 5:25 PM
voldie
One of the stores from the meat market that delivered the brats is in Fox Lake. Maybe they were on Fox Lake?
12/10/18 @ 9:10 PM
jchunter76
jchunter76
User since 12/12/10

Ice belt- they took the hot dog out of the Pike's mouth tossed it on the ice and Larry grabbed it and took two bites out of it. I thought it was pretty funny. The guy is like Mikey, he'll eat anything.

12/10/18 @ 8:39 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I tried them last year and nadda. Will try again this year.

12/10/18 @ 6:36 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

One winter I tried hot dogs, smelt and large shiners equally for the whole season. The results were pretty close over the long haul. Shiners took the blue ribbon, hot dogs close behind in second place, and smelt a close third. Now some days, one bait would definitely shine over the others. Hot dogs were pretty consistent. Large shiners did better early season but dead bait did better late season. No contest on price, dogs win hands down there. You won’t be getting any bass or walleye on dead bait, tho.

12/10/18 @ 3:31 PM
Stevekeno
User since 12/21/08

Yes, that was too funny him eating the hot dog out of the fishes mouth!! He's a fun guy!!  Can anyone identify the lake they are on?

12/10/18 @ 3:20 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Larry Smith just became my second favorite TV show, if he really did that.

12/10/18 @ 2:47 PM
voldie

Watched the show, was a good show. Did anyone catch that when Larry took the hotdog out of the fishes mouth and took a bite?

12/10/18 @ 2:47 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

That is pretty much our go to when pike fishing. We saw a guy using them years ago out on Devils lake and he was out fishing us by a mile. When we got to chatting he revealed his secret weapon to be hot dogs. Ever since then I  will always start with at least one tip up with a hot dog on it. They have been money late March for big pike on Lake Of The Woods the last few years.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE