Lake Trout Rod & Real

10/26/15 @ 2:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
dux42
dux42
USER since 10/30/11
Hey guys, wondering what people recommend for a lake trout rod & real set up? Preferably something that won't break the bank (college kid here) but something that is a quality product. I'm a student at the University of Minnesota Duluth so I thought I would try hitting Lake Superior some this winter for the first time. Any tips or info that would help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
10/30/15 @ 4:29 PM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
I fish lakers on Big Green Lake in Wisconsin. Most of my fish come from 150 fow. A good hook set is critical that far down so I use Power Pro line on a medium size Phluegar reel. The rod is an extra fast St Croix Legend Walleye jig rod. The rod sells for $220, but the slightly blemished ones, seconds, sell for about $40. Cut it to length and epoxy it into a dowel and just use electrical tape to hold it on. Make sure the dowel is the right size to fit your hand. You are going to be jigging a lot, so it better feel like something you want to hang onto all day. This rig has been the death to many lake trout and will be back in business this winter.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 8:31 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have same setup as mentioned by Boder below that I use for Lake Michigan Brown Trout and Steelhead through he ice.

Post Your Comment
10/28/15 @ 6:11 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
A lot of people make their own from other rods they have laying around. You dont need anything fancy. A 30+ inch rod end epoxied onto a handle or wooden dowel. Then, using plastic zip locks strap on a reel that works for you.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 7:49 PM
Boder
Boder
USER since 2/13/03
My set up is 32" MH st croix premier ($30)with a shimano solstace fd1000 ($40). Not sure what break the bank is to you but I am very happy with my setup.

Post Your Comment