Keeping Tip ups from false triggering while using large minnows

1/10/16 @ 11:25 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Any way to keep the 6 inch sucker from producing false flags? I do have a few spring loaded tip ups (Hook Set) that handle big bait fine, but my boards are vulnerable to getting false flags when I use large bait.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
1/11/16 @ 12:46 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
I almost always clip at least a portion of the tail except for the smaller minnows.

With BD tip-ups there are multiple sensitivity settings you can apply. The obvious ones are flat side vs. tapered side, In the groove or not. Another consideration is the direction the T must turn to trigger as it'll take just a little more pressure inward toward the spring vs. outward toward the flag. In addition to this there are couple more options some guys don't know. One is to set the main flag post on the T = more spring tension, harder to trigger. Another is to use set as normal but put the main flag post opposite side of the spindle. This is also a good way to reduce almost all of the wind-caused flags.

You might also consider hooking the minnow thru the vent (in the butthole, and back out). That minnow will struggle endlessly trying to right itself, but this can trigger strikes as well.

Hope this helps.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 11:32 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Another tail clipper here...but I try to leave a little more tail on the upper side so the "push" is downward when the minnow wiggles it's stump.

Boy - PETA members would love that.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 11:20 AM
Brad Durick
captainbraddurick
USER since 3/31/16
Certain tip ups have the large groove in the T to make it harder for them to pull it off. I have not had any issues using that. With the round Frabills you can actually slide the flag down to tighten the spool. As the fish pulls the flag will slide up some before it pops.

Brad Durick Outdoors LLC
(701) 739-5808
Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 10:50 AM
madcelt
madcelt
USER since 3/13/02
The round Frabil tip ups have a bait clip near the spool that works really well.

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 6:18 AM
wack'em & stack'em
wack'em & stack'em
USER since 3/13/10
Yep, cut the tail fin back to desired length

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 12:02 AM
cousincarmody
cousincarmody
USER since 2/9/10
I usually clip the tail fin.