Ion Auger - Reverse and Drill Adaptor

1/6/15 @ 10:18 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Stevekeno
Stevekeno
USER since 12/21/08
Wondering how the Ion Reverse actually works for cleaning Ice from the holes? Video on You-Tube also shows that it comes with a quick release adapter with an ice anchor drill attachment. Video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IlPb1sBQDo
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
1/26/15 @ 11:17 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Took my new Ion out this week-end.I only drilled a few holes but it worked great. It is so light that I think it will help me stay much more mobile. I always hit Winnebago with the thought that I will move at least 10 times. The actual count is usually less than that because I get sick of dragging the drill out of the back of the Yukon. This should help. So far, so good. We need some better ice before I will drive out on the big lake. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/24/15 @ 9:10 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Went out today for about 5 hours on the ice. Payed attention to the drill and the slush sticking it to the side. Layed it in the snow like usual. Nothing ever stuck to it. Worked fine. Must have been the extreme cold I was fishing in last time that made the slush stick to it-thus making it very heavy. Usually not a problem and today was good.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 10:52 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
Two ways to fight that problem. I don't think it's the speed of the drill...

1) Never lay a wet auger down in the snow as quite a bit will always stick. Find or even kick out a clear spot to lay it down. This is why some guys will drill a 1/2 holt and leave it standing, but be careful it can freeze in. It also leaves a permanent trip hole in the ice and some guys will finish drilling it later to prevent this.

2) When the drill is dry, spray on a coat of WD40. Some guys use Pam cooking spray. This should help prevent some of the water sticking/freezing on in the first place.

Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 9:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Happened to me as well. Just the other day. I would say it went from a 22 pound auger to maybe even a 40 pound auger. It hasn't been a problem for me in the past. I'm wondering if the extreme cold and deep holes (over 15) caused it. The only thing I can think of is to drill your first set of holes and brush it off after that so it's sitting around without the slush. I didn't do that, and I found out quickly later in the day when it was time to drill more. Glad you brought that up.

Edited on 1/15/15 10:00 PM
Post Your Comment
1/15/15 @ 8:43 PM
gforce
gforce
MEMBER since 8/12/01
I know that this does not quite relate to the reverse function of the Ion but I have owned the Ion for 2 years without any complaints except for one which is a big problem. My 22 lb. auger turns into a 32 pound auger due to the slow rotation of the auger which collects ice on the fins as you drill. Yes I realize that you can get out the rubber mallet and hit it off but that seems to be bothersome because it has to be done after every hole. That is about the only negative thing about the ion but it is a major issue. I wanted to know if anyone else has the same problem and what can be done to make it more user friendly.

Edited on 1/15/15 8:44 PM
Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 11:17 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
I just kept it in the basement and charged it once over the summer. Worked fine in Year 2.

Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 9:48 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
Bought an ION this year and have loved it. The lighter weight in particular is a huge benefit over a long day. Question for those owners in their second year: For off season storage, what battery storage protocol do you use to maintain the viability of your battery? Thanks.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 4:09 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
A quick update on ION battery and cold. Yesterday it was about -4 when I started fishing. Ended up around 10 degrees by the time we were done. About 15 inches of ice. Using the 8 inch auger. 12 holes drilled off the bat. Worked great. Done. Ready to fish. 5 more holes drilled an hour or two later. Still quick and easy. 7 holes then drilled 3 hours after we started. Slow at first, then battery seemed to gain momentum and was fine. Then, the last hole, number 25, about 4 hours from the start, battery was very weak. Took 5 minutes to drill that hole. Battery was on 1 of the 3 lights. First time this has happened. Had I drilled all the holes right away, I don't think there would have even been an issue for up to 50 holes. It's the sitting and waiting in the cold. Then, it's an issue. If I would have kept the battery warm, probably ok as well. I did notice a few holes toward the latter half the auger stopped. Had to pull the slush out and then find the right starting point and go forward. Overall, the ION battery performs much better when it's a bit warmer, but I'll take yesterday's results. Did a decent job and started right away like always. The key is to drill early and often on those cold days unless you can keep the battery warm.

Edited on 1/12/15 9:26 PM
Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 11:01 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Gimper-I agree with your point about needing a new battery. The first one is just part of the initial cost but after that's 150 every time. It's a concern. However, it's year 2 for me and the battery seems strong as ever. It handles just fine in cold weather I've found. I don't know how long it'll go. I'm hoping 4 years or so. But, we'll see. If it fails by the end of this season, that would be not cool.

Advantages of the battery are quite a few in my opinion: No gas smell. Starts on the first push. Lightweight. Quiet, No gas to put in or run out of. No maintainence. No pulling cords. All those things are big plusses for me and are worth at least 75 bucks a year to me. Hassle free. But, I know a lot of guys like their gas augers and there's nothing wrong with that. I just think the battery offers a lot of benefits that one doesn't realize until they start using it. Just my two cents.

Stevenko-If you get the 8 inch. Make sure it is the new one and has the reverse feature. For 499, that's as low as I've seen them. I have yet to hear of an ION owner disappointed once they've made the purchase. The ION works like expected, not really too much can go wrong. But, again, it's not for everyone for various reasons. I know some guys like heavy augers, but there is not any benefit to more weight in my opinion. As long as it does the job, the lighter the better and the ION is as light as I've seen.

Edited on 1/8/15 7:14 AM
Post Your Comment
1/7/15 @ 9:56 PM
Walleye Hunter 1954
Walleye Hunter 1954
MEMBER since 12/17/11
I bought mine last year and I love it. It's light and drills all the holes I need for the day. I know there a bunch of money. But have you ever seen a Brinks truck following the hearse? Buy nice stuff and enjoy your hobby even more!! Cool

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts