If You Don't Ice Fish...You wouldn't understand

3/30/09 @ 9:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
I'm all for ice safety. I'd say that all of us probably are. But so many aspects of ice fishing seem very dangerous to people who don't ice fish themselves. For example, connecting a ladder to the main ice on a lake, or wearing chest waders and hopping on the main ice shelf is not really a dangerous activity if you know the lake well enough. Especially if the water you are crossing to get to the ice is shallow and the water you are going to be fishing is shallow. Many people though, think it's crazy that I do such a thing. But, I don't think it's very risky when I'm drilling through 15 inches of ice on the main lake. The shores pulled away a little bit, but no big deal. Any other examples you can think of where If you don't ice fish, you wouldn't understand...
Edited on 3/30/09 9:17 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 536 Posts
11/21/15 @ 9:44 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Supposed to be 5 degrees overnight down here. Actually getting a little bit excited for early ice. A little bit mind you.

Post Your Comment
10/18/15 @ 11:23 AM
BiigPiike
BiigPiike
USER since 12/20/09
Woke up for work this morning, got in my truck, rear view mirror temp gauge was flashing 35 and ice... if you don't ice fish, you wouldn't understand.

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 3:20 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
"Actually, I was wondering about this myself. I have some thick foam hole covers for ice fishing. 4 or 5 inches thick. They float. I was going to put the tip up the hole cover after catching a blue gill and let it drift over deeper water on a small lake. Legal or not? If not, end of discussion. If so, I'm trying it"

I disagree that that this is jug fishing. Jug fishing inherently implies leaving an unattended line. If you can see your tip up and respond to the flag in a meaningful amount of time (subject to warden) than you are legal.

No law states you need to be holding the fishing line, just that it has to be attended. Otherwise any bank rod, or trolling rod out of hand is illegal too.

Post Your Comment
8/17/15 @ 9:02 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Agree. Hot weather is not my cup of tea either. 20 degrees with a light wind and a touch of snow in the air is more like it.

Post Your Comment
8/16/15 @ 8:44 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I consider the weather pattern that we're currently experiencing to be the crappiest weather of the year!

If you don't ice fish, you wouldn't understand!

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 3:44 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Bummer. How many days till first ice?

Post Your Comment
5/7/15 @ 7:07 AM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
Not legal. Jug fishing.

Post Your Comment
5/6/15 @ 9:05 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Actually, I was wondering about this myself. I have some thick foam hole covers for ice fishing. 4 or 5 inches thick. They float. I was going to put the tip up the hole cover after catching a blue gill and let it drift over deeper water on a small lake. Legal or not? If not, end of discussion. If so, I'm trying it.

Post Your Comment
5/6/15 @ 12:19 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
Can I put my tip-ups on a floatation device and watch them from my boat ? Nah, that would probably considered "Jug Fishing", it would be O.K. south of the Mason Dixon.

Post Your Comment
5/4/15 @ 8:35 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
"Opening day" came and went without taking a cast. But, knowing that the real "opening day" comes sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's all good.

If you don't ice fish...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 536 Posts