Ideas for powering lights inside a shack

9/21/15 @ 6:40 PM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
Hey guys, I'm setting up an enclosed trailer with some holes/catch covers so I can use it for a shack in bad weather. What is the best setup for lights? Planning overhead LED (it is a 5x10 trailer, so I figure only one light needed), but wondering about power. Is a spare car battery the best way to do it? Or is there a way to run a wire and tap into my trailer lights? Would I have to have the truck running for that? I'd rather not have to pull a spare battery and recharge it each time, but I'd rather not kill my truck battery out on the ice either. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
10/24/15 @ 8:04 AM
walleye-master
walleye-master
USER since 2/28/08
You can mount your battery permanent in the trailer and you can have it wired so it charges only when your vehicle is running when hooked to your trailer

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 9:13 PM
Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 7:28 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
I got some LED fog/accy lights for a car and use a vexilar battery for my portable shack lights. I put alligator clips on the wires and hook them up when I want light.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 5:22 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
The LED strips I was talking about run off a Double or Triple AA/AAA battery. You wouldn't need to drag a big battery around and worry about charging it at all! An LED strip light will last a long time on these batteries you can put in your pocket. Can't start your truck with them though.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 11:28 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I've been using a battery pack like that for a few years. It works very well and since it has the 12v socket it is quite versatile....charging cell phones, lights, a 12v fan, and I have a locator cord with a 12v plug on it that I too will run off of the battery pack plus other random things. If you have a decent one they will have the ability to hold enough juice to last quite a long time. Simply charge it up when you get home and you're set. What I like about it is what I referenced before....the extra insurance that you have something along that will jump start your truck if for some reason you have a dead battery.

I ran that type of LED strip lighting along the sides of my boat. Yep, the adhesive isn't the best on those knock off brands (non 3-M) but big deal. A couple of bucks for some double sided foam tape and a minor time investment sticking the lights where you want them and you're set to go.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 11:21 AM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
"A multiple purpose power source would be to wire the lights up with a 12v accessory plug and use one of those jump starting battery packs that has a 12v socket."

I like this idea - those packs are much more portable than a spare battery - be easier to bring one in the house and recharge it.

I wonder how long a 9ah Vexilar battery would last with the LED strip?

I'm also considering using 4 of these marker lights instead of the strip - too many reviews saying the adhesive on the strip fails.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 6:48 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have a spare marine optima starting battery i would sell for 50 bucks. I would get it tested before sale if interested. Message me.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 5:29 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Devoting an Optima to running simple LED's in an ice shack is an awfully expensive idea and is unnecessary. Many different ways you could potentially do this. If you are running just LED's you won't need much since they use very little power. I agree with the suggestion of the strip type LED's. They are easy to work with. Since you will have them outside you'll probably want to go with the weather resistant version....just make sure they are the type that are encased in silicone. A multiple purpose power source would be to wire he lights up with a 12v accessory plug and use one of those jump starting battery packs that has a 12v socket. Just running lights all night won't be nearly enough to drain one of those down where if in a pinch you need it to jump start your truck. You've killed two birds with one stone using something you might already have, 1) power source for lights 2) a device that can jump your truck in case your battery goes dead.

Post Your Comment
9/22/15 @ 5:07 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
They have the LED strip lighting with its own battery. You can't recharge it but it will last a long time and just get a battery or two and replace as needed. We put them under our canopy on camper and are very impressed with them!

Post Your Comment
9/21/15 @ 7:14 PM
Fishin AGAIN!!
Fishin AGAIN!!
USER since 11/20/14
Type led strip lighting in on amazon.com. first option that comes up. $7.82 for 16 feet. Works great! Have it in boat. Had to add dimmer switch because it was too bright. You can cut it into sections and rewire it together if you only want a couple feet in each area. Super low draw so running off truck battery should be fine. If you have any doubts switch to an optima battery.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts