Ideas for first fishing trip to Minnesota?

3/13/14 @ 9:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
littlejigger
littlejigger
USER since 1/26/13
Wisconsin fisherman here. We are starting to plan our first out of state fishing trip for next year. That way the wives see it on the calendarSmile Just have no idea of what lake to try or which ones have better cabins or guides. Just looking for a 4-5 days and spending around $500/guy. Just looking for options or lakes people enjoy and go back to. pm me if you like! Looking for the usual, perch and walleys, and everything else is a bonus! thanks! and enjoy the next couple weeks, their starting to hit good!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
9/15/14 @ 2:21 PM
60crewchief
60crewchief
USER since 3/26/10
Years ago we fished ball club lake and winnibigosh and stayed at gus's resort. Nice little cabins very responsibly priced. Fishing was good. Last winter 4 of us went up to Red Lake and stayed with Portavilla out of Rogers on red. Caught enough fish to eat fish while we were there and bring some home. We went mid January so the bite was slowing down. We stayed in the 4 Man wheelhouse. I would suggest going to the larger size shack, it worked but not a lot of room with full grown adults. They also offer the ability to go out and fish in their portables that they have set up and its included in the cost. Brad Hawthorne runs the otter train and does a fantastic job on keep them on fish. This year we are staying with bear paw guides out of west winds. Just wanted to try someone different. We will be staying with them for 2 nights then we will be heading up to LOTW and spending 3 days with Nels Holte and Freds Beds before heading home. I have the whole trip planned out and figure we should be able to do the whole week for 6 guys for around 500$

Post Your Comment
9/12/14 @ 4:49 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02
Been doing LOTW for the past 4 years. Usually go up the wek before Christmas and kick off my hard water season. We have always came home with our limit and eaten fish everyday. We use Freds Beds Sleepers. Tell Nels Ken sent you. Already booked my trip for this year.

Post Your Comment
9/12/14 @ 12:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
We did LOTW a couple of years ago. We stayed in Ford's Guide Service's sleeper shacks. We had 6 guys so we had three shacks. I looked at their website and saw they now have 4 man shacks as well as the 2 man. The shacks are nothing fancy but they are clean and warm. All shacks had a bucket of live bait waiting for us. Chris moved one of the shacks the first day because the other two were catching fish and they were not. As soon as he moved them, they were on fish. The cost was very reasonable. It was less than $300 per person for 3 days/nights. With sharing gas and food costs with the other 5 guys, I did that trip for around $350.

If you go with Ford's, they offer a snowmobile trip to the NW Angle for trophy walleye. We didn't do it but I will the next time we go. It was only an additional $75 or $100 per person. Chris's associate guide did that trip and showed us pictures each night of the fish they caught. Apparently that's where the big ones hang out.

Post Your Comment
9/12/14 @ 7:31 AM
abacab
abacab
USER since 12/23/03
We did like zipper bay till one year they were moving houses all around us. We weren't catching anything asked to be moved and they said they couldn't. Like Winnie and bowstring. The folks at bowstring shores are great people. Small outfit with only 5 shacks or so.

Post Your Comment
9/11/14 @ 9:37 PM
twotimes
twotimes
USER since 1/8/13
abacab what place did u like best? How was Zippel Bay? Im looking at a sleeper house @ zippel bay resort

Post Your Comment
3/18/14 @ 8:41 PM
littlejigger
littlejigger
USER since 1/26/13
Thanks for the info. We definatley be reading reviews and forums. Cant wait! Beer, buddies, fishing. Doesnt get much better. Thanks again.

Post Your Comment
3/16/14 @ 5:46 PM
crujones
crujones
USER since 12/28/13
I would recommend Leech, Winne, kabtogama, lake of the woods….. the list goes on. I have a group of friends that do trips every year, we always rent a house. there are a ton of websites to search on but the one i have had luck with is vrbo dot com vacation rentals by owner. If you don't have your own boats you will need to hook up with a guide or rent boats, search online for what you need. Renting a house is always way cheaper than a resort and you get a home.

lots of good forums in minnesota as well that have the state split into sections you can search the old posts to see what people have to say about diff. area's.

Post Your Comment
3/14/14 @ 8:39 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07
I've been going to Leech Lake with my dad and his buddies the last couple years. His group has been going for a while. We stay at Birch Ridge Resort on Sucker Bay. Nice place and good fishing. BIG perch on Leech Lake!

Post Your Comment
3/14/14 @ 3:03 AM
abacab
abacab
USER since 12/23/03
We've been doing the MN trips every winter for years. We have had good luck at numerous places. We used to go to Zippel bay on lake of the woods doing a sleeper, we also have went to lake winnie. We stayed at gosh dam place and used day houses out of high banks resort which is only a short drive. Gosh dam has a week day special on hotel rooms. We have also gone to Bowstring lake and went through Bowstring resort with a cabin fish house combo which also is reasonable and cabins are right on lake and they have bait and heated fish cleaning right there. This year we stayed in WI and went up to little St gemain and used portables. We are headed back up to Bowstrimg next Feb. Catch crappies, perch, walleye and tullibee.

Edited on 3/14/14 3:04 AM
Post Your Comment