Ice out predictions

2/8/18 @ 4:02 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

I almost hesitate to start this thread....I don't want to think of ice out....but, we can turn this into a positive and dream of just how long ice may be on this year. Been a great year so far!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 95 Posts
5/8/18 @ 3:27 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Not going to wish the year away, but I can't wait to be on the other end of the "ice" reports when we are adding new lakes for ice instead of the past week or so where the reports have been of the "ice free" lakes. Great season. Ice out was generally about Friday 5/4  according to my observations. Some earlier. Some later. 

Post Your Comment
5/3/18 @ 11:10 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

Fishsqueezer, yep I am thinking you and I were close in travels. I did not log as many miles. Had a couple lakes (flowages) as well to check. Every place we checked had ice in main areas. Shore lines were looking good. May not this week end but next one "fer shure"...

Post Your Comment
5/3/18 @ 9:42 AM
Fishsqueezer
Fishsqueezer
USER since 5/19/06

Just put about 100 miles on this morning making my rounds in Oneida and southern vilas (highway 70) every lake I drove by had ice but none of it looked remotely safe to walk on. 70’s and sunny today, 70’s tomorrow with a good wind kicking up, that could be it for the ice. 

Post Your Comment
5/3/18 @ 9:19 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
USER since 4/5/08

PikePro33, I am gonna check out 2 of my "usually" good spring lakes in about an hour. I'll PM you with what I find. Ahhh, if that is ok. 

Post Your Comment
5/3/18 @ 7:54 AM
PikePro33
PikePro33
USER since 2/8/10

Any updates?

I'm coming up Friday after work ice or not.   Just wondering if I should bring the auger or not.   If I  do ice fish it would be either vuiex desert or twin.   

Post Your Comment
4/30/18 @ 11:48 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

My buddy owns an off the grid cabin just off High Lake. Said there was easily 20" yet. Guys were ice fishing High and Palmer.

Post Your Comment
4/30/18 @ 6:39 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Quite a few guys fishing Minocqua when I drove through yesterday.  Scattered all over. 

Post Your Comment
4/28/18 @ 9:31 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Checked the ice on Lac Vieux Desert today. 24 inches. 6 inches of white ice and about 18 inches of solid ice. Off the South side. Checked another local "small" lake on the south shore and that ice was 14 inches, but really soft and easy to cut through. That lake might open up on Wednesday. 

These next three days are going to be really tough on the ice. I see a lot of north shores opening up of late. There will be ice in places for the opener, but not as many as I once thought. I may just have to be in the boat for th opener on that little lake I checked out today....But, no complaints! Been on the ice since mid November!!! Been an awesome year. 

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 11:24 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

I just went back through our predictions, I said today at 1:23. LOL. I got the 23 part right. 23" of ice.

Post Your Comment
4/27/18 @ 11:12 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

"USAbrams-Deep down, are you rooting to be on the ice one more time....or over soft water?"

I've ice fished oipeners, the problem with them is travel. You never trust the ice to travel long distances, so for me, I'd rather have open water. I can go where I want with little worry about dumping a 1000 lb atv into the drink and I can get my pier in.

Thing about forecasts and Land O Lakes actual weather? It's always cooler and always more windy than forecasters predict.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 95 Posts