Ice fishing trout

11/23/15 @ 1:10 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Jeepin2009
Jeepin2009
USER since 10/8/14
I've been fishing my whole life and absolutely love ice fishing but I've never fished in more than 30ft of water. This year I really wanna try catching some trout though the ice. What are some good lakes in Wisconsin and what's the best method
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
12/19/15 @ 9:50 AM
A5¢
A5¢
MEMBER since 6/15/09
Big Green is a real fun place to pull lakers out of deep,150+ fow. It does take some special gear, some special and all the patience you can bring out on the ice. I had a good teacher that made the learning curve less painful! Thanks Justin Wink

Post Your Comment
12/19/15 @ 8:22 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Big Green is fun to fish. Look up guide Dennis Walker for a great day of fishing at a very reasonable price. Many of the Lake Michigan tributaries hold steelhead and brownies during the winter. You can't beat catching a steelhead on a tip up. They're like a pike on crystal meth! The Kewaunee River is a great place to start. Use spawn sacs or minnows. On the many inland lakes that you can find on the DNR website, use teardrop jigs with waxies, salad shrimp or canned corn. A flasher is handy as they are usually suspended. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
12/18/15 @ 5:49 PM
Hungry Run
Hungry Run
MEMBER since 8/8/10
Jeepin2009, If you go to the WI DNR website and touch your cursor to the recreation tab you will see a drop down menu. Move your cursor down to fishing and click on places to fish, scroll down the page till you come to Trout fishing, the second highlighted choice is : Catchable-size stocked trout waters. Click on that and it will show you every lake, pond and mud puddle the DNR stocked with trout, county by county. You can print this out if you wish it's about 13 pages long. Or try this link. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/trout/CatchableTrout.html

Post Your Comment
12/18/15 @ 8:43 AM
Capt. Justin Kohn
Puckaway Kid
MEMBER since 4/1/16
The trout in big green lake are much better eating than great Lakes fish. I'm assuming that the fresh water shrimp diet helps their taste in green lake

Post Your Comment
12/18/15 @ 8:31 AM
Kutt
Kutt
USER since 6/30/09
Devils Lake, Upper Genesee. minnows on dead stick, wax worms on spoon. Biggest challenge is getting a hook in them.

Post Your Comment
12/18/15 @ 8:19 AM
Capt. Justin Kohn
Puckaway Kid
MEMBER since 4/1/16
Best inland trout fishing could be Big Green Lake

Post Your Comment
11/25/15 @ 9:27 PM
Trophy_Taker
Trophy_Taker
USER since 4/27/08
Agreed with what Boder said, every area is different. By us, spawn and minnows work and it's mostly harbors and river fishing.

Post Your Comment
11/23/15 @ 2:21 PM
Boder
Boder
USER since 2/13/03
Harbors off Lake Michigan offer opportunities at trout. So do big green lake and lake Geneva. Might as well throw Lake Superior out there too. For techniques you would b better of going to the lake specific boards you want to fish and ask there. What catches them on one Lake may not on another.

Post Your Comment