MORE
Ice Fishing

ice fishing reels

1/21/15 @ 4:01 PM
INITIAL POST
Bowhunt 24/7
Bowhunt 24/7
User since 10/30/13
hey i was at fleet today and was looking at getting a new ultra lite combo. i saw a frabill straight line 101 which has the fly reel and was wondering if any of you have used and it and also what it the difference between the fly reel set up and the open bail. also are there any perks to the fly reel?? thanks
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
1/22/18 @ 3:48 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I have a couple Eagle Claw In-line reels and I just got a One 3 Descent this year. They are almost the same except the descent has a shield on the backside of the spool. The only thing I have an issue with is pulling out line. If you don't have the free-spool drag set right it can spin too fast and cause a mess. I pull out lne from the end of my rod but keep my finger on the side of the spool so I can control the free-spooling. One thing about the Eagle Claw and Descent reels is that the spool is not metal and won't freeze your finger as you are controlilng the free-spool. I do like them over my spinning reels. But if I am targeting walleye or something a little bigger I still use a spinning reel. 

HT came out with a very nice in-line reel that I saw at the ice show in Milwaukee in December. But it was pricey. Guy at the HT booth said they were around $100. But a guy who was selling them at another booth was asking $140. I found them cheaper online but haven't bought one.

Polar Fire Deluxe Tigh Line Reel

1/21/18 @ 4:51 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I have some inlines and some spinning reels. I prefer the inlines for the way they cut down on line twist. It took a bit to get used to them but now they are great. One is a 1:1 which I use for shallow panfish. The others are geared and I use them for deeper water. Once you get used to them you’ll be able to get your bait down quicker than with a spinning reel. 

1/21/18 @ 2:15 AM
Dolores1012
Dolores1012
User since 1/6/18

I'm a big follower of the Shimano Stradic FK ...have a 5/6 that gets a lot of use year round. You also might consider looking at the Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder Graphite ....you can find them on closeout now at several fly shops. I just bought the 4Plus large arbor and it's quickly becoming my favorite reel.

1/25/15 @ 5:35 AM
Carpminnow
Carpminnow
User since 1/28/07
We really like the No.8 Tackle Co. Cold-Gear-Ice Inline Reel (CGi). It has a 2.7 to 1 gear ratio, 5 ball bearing, and a smooth star drag. We replaced our old school Slater reels with these and are really glad we did. They cost around $30 so the price is right too. Have a safe ice fishing season!!
1/24/15 @ 6:55 PM
Gettin' Waked
User since 8/10/14
x2 on the Black Betty, it is one sweet mama. I will never use a spinning reel again. I've got mine matched with the st. croix legend with the super finess tip, lovvvvveeee it!
1/22/15 @ 11:59 AM
BAK922
User since 11/19/14
I've had one two seasons and really like It. It is best for shallow water as it has no free spool. But overall very nice setup.
1/21/15 @ 9:47 PM
gillipripper
User since 1/3/15
It depends what you are fishing for and how you are fishing. With real light tackle, like small jigs, I really like an inline reel. Inline reels eliminate any line twist associated with a spinning reel. This is really nice when using light tackle because if your line is all coiled, you will not see light bites. Some inline reels can be a pain however if you are fishing in deep water. I say this because some inline reels are 1:1 gear ratios, so it can take forever to reel fish up. However, there are inline reels that have decent gear ratios. My personal favorite is the black betty 6061 from 13fishing. Pretty expensive but really works really good for any situation. Another cheaper option would be the eagle claw inline reel. I have recently put inline reels on all of my setups and am really pleased to always be fishing with like-new coil-free line.
1/21/15 @ 6:04 PM
Silvia180sxboy
User since 4/14/08
http://www.lake-link.com/forums/Ice-Fishing/discuss.cfm/116401/Inline-Reels
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE