Ice Fishing GPS Fishfinder Ideas?

1/31/16 @ 9:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
garyq
garyq
MEMBER since 4/1/10
I hit the hard water often, and have all the gear anyone would want. Marcum LX-7 finder, underwater camera, ATV propane auger and hand augers etc. but having the map contours on my hummingbird fish finders on my boat I feel like I'm missing that as well on the ice to help me find drop offs, etc. So I'm looking for ideas of what people out there have gotten or are using that work well for me to get a mapping or GPS Contours type finder to use on the ice? Thanks for your comments and suggestions You can also PM me if you wish G
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
2/2/16 @ 11:57 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
Including my phone I have 4 GPS units. I'll use 2 in conjunction with one another. One to get close and the other to pinpoint a spot with extreme levels of accuracy. That unit has never once failed and consists of "lining the third pine tree to the north of the white shed with the flagpole on the opposite side and the corner of the gray boathouse."

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 11:02 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Another vote for Navionics on a phone. Small, always with me, accurate, pinch zoom. When I'm not fishing I can look at lakes to figure out my future spots.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 8:29 AM
alumalunker25
alumalunker25
USER since 9/21/12
Check your messager gary

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 9:18 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
lowrance elite 5 chirp

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 8:46 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
You dont need to buy a second power cable.Place a disconnect on the power cable then you can use it in the boat and on a battery box.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 1:48 PM
mattg589
mattg589
USER since 2/27/05
I bought a Humminbird 597 for my Dad's boat when I used his boat all the time. I still use that locator for my GPS in winter as others have stated. On my own boat now, I have a Humminbird 899 and have tried that one as well, however, the standard flasher battery wouldn't produce the power it needed to work properly. If you have a smaller unit it works great.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 9:34 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
"I use Navionics on my phone, $10 or $15 for all maps"

I went to this as well. It just made too much sense for ice fishing because I always have my phone on me....so if I find something in summer I want to remember for winter I can drop a way point super easy. It seemed like my handheld GPS was always a hassle to remember batteries for, etc.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 7:54 AM
RistoRap
RistoRap
USER since 8/31/01
I also use a flasher battery and one of the units out of my boat. Might as well use the thing year round as I paid enough for it.... Doesn't makes a lot of sense to carry a separate locator and GPS if one unit can do both.

GaryQ, yes just pick up a $20 flasher battery and hook up your 'Bird unit. Use spade connectors to connect to the battery - any hardware store will have them.

I'm sure you can also find an ice transducer for it as well for around $50 or so.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 7:19 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I agree with Navionics

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 5:55 AM
garyq
garyq
MEMBER since 4/1/10
alumalunker25 and wet-net

Great ideas, so you're both saying that I can run the regular finders/gps units on the standard flasher battery? And just not have the transducer being used? So its the same as using it in my boat but without the ability to use the transducer of course?

And just get a power cord that you put some sort of alligator clips on to attach to the battery?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts