Ice Fishing: What happened to it?

1/15/15 @ 4:51 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Fresh Air
Fresh Air
USER since 1/21/12
After recently responding to a post, I got to thinking about how much ice fishing has changed in the last 10 to 15 years. I can't help but to think back to the days of "drilling" holes, checkin depths with weights that often were lost, imagining what was down that hole and simply enjoying the adventure. With all the advancements in electronics, shelters, etc... It seems that something has been lost. Not saying that all these things are bad, because they sure can make fishing more successful and comfortable. What I am saying is that I have found myself forgetting the beauty and experience of spending time in great places. Countless times has my focus been so much on my locator and flashing lines, that I miss a beautiful sunset or watching my kids enjoy the outdoors. I miss watching groups of people hanging out with one another instead of hiding from one another in their "caves". In some ways I miss the not knowing what was down that hole. I believe that when something becomes less of a hope and more of an expectation that the enjoyment of the experience fades. With all of the changes that have come through the years I worry about the future enjoyment of this sport. It's the challenges of fishing that will always make the catch so much more rewarding. So next time your out take a few minutes to lift your head, step outside, and take in the beauty that is "Ice Fishing". God Bless and Good Fishing All! Big Smile
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 38 Posts
1/29/15 @ 7:34 AM
crestliner 1
crestliner 1
USER since 2/2/08
Im almost 50yr old! we did not have open face reels on are jig poles, no flasher , guess what we still put some fish on the ice,, Now I wont leave home with out my vexler,, how ever I been fishing with my old snow boat for more room, I can fish three holes in my bigger shack, I run two minnows on each side of me and jig one in the middle,, guess what im getting more fish,,,, I still love wacthing that little slip bobber sink down the hole...my one man shanty is staying home,, plus I have plenty of room for my heater radio,lunch box and all my jigging rods. I fish almost all the time by my self and enjoy it more... Wink

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 8:56 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
I used to be one of those three tip up guys,just ice fished for something to do in the winter.Sat in a shack and shot the breeze.I like it more now move around and find your own fish.I also meet way more good guys then bad.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 8:14 AM
Otter Box
Otter Box
USER since 12/10/14
Frozeman - you might be right about that one.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 4:45 AM
JethroBodine
JethroBodine
USER since 12/21/01
You could say this sort of thing about open water fishing too, with the large boats, graphs, GPS, programmable trolling motors, etc. and there I would agree. Love fishing in my canoe and jon boat on small water I'm the only person on a lot more than listening to the wave runners and wakeboarders.

Ice fishing, not so much. If I had to drill the holes by hand, sit on a bucket, and guess if there were any fish there and what depth they were at I'd probably stay home.

Last year we were up at Minocqua for New Years and when we got out on the lake the real air temp was -10 and worse with the wind chill. There were some guys sitting on buckets and my son said, "Dad those guys are bad a$$es! It is really cold out!" I told that story to the guy at the gas station when he asked how I did after we finished fishing and he laughed and said, "Those guys weren't from around here, we fish in a shanty like you. Way too cold to sit outside."

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 4:12 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
I fish on Green Bay a lot and there is a lot that's changed, like people targeting whitefish instead of perch, but overall it's pretty much the same. When the ice firms up (not like it is in a lot of spots right now), lots of folks start driving out in trucks and fish right next to their vehicles. It's a fun family tradition that hasn't gone away.

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 4:03 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05
was on the lake two days ago, was talking to a guy on the landing and just happened when we went on the ice we actually set up probably 40 yards from his shack, after a while I walked over to talk to him because he was clearing out the holes right next to his shack for tip ups, and I mean RIGHT NEXT to his shack, we chatted for a while, told him I hoped we weren't invading his space, he told me he doesn't own any of the lake, as a matter of fact the day before two guys walked up to his shack and actually fished the holes he augered leaning on his shack for a while then left...who actually would do this??? while he was there ??

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 3:25 PM
walleyeteche
walleyeteche
USER since 12/7/10
I actually had my best panfish trip this season when I didn't bring electronics!

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 10:22 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I meet a fair amount of "icefishermen" who own 3 tip-ups and nothing else. I don't meet these guys on the ice,it when the subject comes up elsewhere and they say "Oh,I like icefishing"...I met one just last Thursday. The guy even had no idea what lake-Link is.

Beer,tip-ups and bait,in that order. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

How else did someone discover that hotdogs work for pike? He forgot the bait.

But many of those guys aren't big on "appreciating" sunsets either.

Post Your Comment
1/24/15 @ 7:20 PM
Fresh Air
Fresh Air
USER since 1/21/12
Glad to see so many responses to my original post. I thought it might make for some good chatter along with bringing up some memories from years past. Just to clarify I'm not against the new "tools" used in ice fishing as I do use them. What I am saying is don't let the experience be ruined by the expectation. With the stresses of life and the busyness of days, remember you're fishing not working. I speaking to myself as much as anyone else. God Bless and Good Fishing! Wink

Post Your Comment
1/21/15 @ 6:13 PM
Frozenman
Frozenman
USER since 12/16/07
Otter,I believe it's connected to the ENTITLEMENT mentality.F U it's all about me.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 38 Posts