Ice Drills

1/19/15 @ 5:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
samfox
samfox
USER since 3/17/09
Looking for info on ice drills, I have run jiffy drills for 45+ years, had my forearm rebuilt for the last time. My question is this do any of the new drills put less strain on your forearms than jiffy model 30's. Thanks for the input.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
2/13/15 @ 3:45 PM
taper_bassman
taper_bassman
USER since 1/29/11
A few years ago I picked up a 9" Strikemaster lazer ultramag 2nd hand, it was a few years old and I had no idea how to pick a gas auger. Long Story short the thing has been a money pit. Payed 250 for the auger. I went through 2 carbs, thats another long story( the first one was bad) and I just snapped the throttle cable. It uses three blades instead of two. It's a crappy auger I'm going to buy a new one with all of the sales. If anyone has any suggestions before I pop on a new $400 auger pm me. I'm always open to suggestions.

I'm thinking Eskimo or Jiffy gas.

Post Your Comment
1/24/15 @ 5:52 PM
Gettin' Waked
Gettin' Waked
USER since 8/10/14
The Clam ice auger conversion kit looks interesting. It is wayyyy cheaper than $500, more like $160. I would look into it. Everybody seems to love them. I would have got one but i got a new jiffy instead... Hope this helps Smile

Post Your Comment
1/23/15 @ 11:24 AM
walleye44
walleye44
USER since 12/18/13
"Looking for info on ice drills, I have run jiffy drills for 45+ years, had my forearm rebuilt for the last time. My question is this do any of the new drills put less strain on your forearms than jiffy model 30's. Thanks for the input."

I had a jiffy model 30 for years too. The old Jiffy was a great heavy duty tank auger. I have a Nils USA auger with a Tanaka motor.(270 model) This auger is lightweight & can it cut fast! No down pressure is required to use the auger. I have a bad shoulder & this auger is breeze to use! They also offer a 7 year warranty on them too. Other augers only give you 1 or 2 years. Best auger I have ever used. I have used all the brands out there between friends on the ice.

Post Your Comment
1/22/15 @ 6:20 PM
old boat
old boat
USER since 4/4/03
I too have a Jiffy 30 it always starts easily and runs good. cuts an 8" hole easily. I LOVE it! or at least I did until last Saturday, that's when I used my buddies new ION electric auger. not only did it cut quicly and easily, my buddy was quick to point out two flaws my Jiffy has that until now were not even an issue for me. the mess and hassle of liquid fuel, and the weight.

I will deal with the Jiffy this year, but I will have a lightweight electric for next season.

Post Your Comment
1/21/15 @ 11:36 AM
boge
boge
USER since 2/2/06
You need to consider the K drill being marketed by Vexilar.Its a 500.00 investment for a 6"(with new 18volt milwaukee fuel drill or SIMILAR brand.Or 550.00for an8".This will no doubt stir up some negative comments,but not 1 person who has seen mine operate has said anything,but wow.Theres a you tube video on it check it out.11lbs with the drill.Thats why I bought it.That and I needed a new drill.If this set up continues to keep me happy thru this winter,my Lazer Mag Express will be on sale shortly.

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 7:10 PM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I agree. If price is no issue spend the bucks and go with a nils. You just fire it up, hit the throttle and let the drill do the work. No need to put any downward pressure on it at all....actually, on any auger if your motor is tuned right and your blades are good you shouldn't have to lean on it to get it to cut. If you have to do this then so,etching is amiss.

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 7:00 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
Easy answer, gets a Nils! Unbelievable easy to use, absolutely no effort required. My girlfriend easily drilled holes with the 8" auger while out at Devils Lake.

Post Your Comment