Ice Drill Diagnostic Help

1/19/15 @ 9:39 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I need some opinions here. I have an older Jiffy Stealth 2 hp power unit and a 9 inch auger. The 9 inch is as big as they recommend for that power head. It starts ok but not great. Lately drilling has become a chore. The head binds up several times on the way down and it even stops the auger several times.This week-end the drill stopped after drilling 6 holes. It was almost like it was overheated. I was able to get it going again after 10 minutes or so. I bought some new blades but when I checked the current blades they were very sharp. I did see some burring on the top side of a couple of blades but they were still pretty sharp. I know I can just put the new blades on and try it but wanted to get some opinions. If it sounded like a clutch, it might be time to move on. The electrics are sounding pretty good right now. Thanks. Mrt.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
1/22/15 @ 3:08 PM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
I was figuring that. I see that quite often here at the shop i work for. As for the chipper lite no i have no experience. I will say my lazer pro is an ice eating machine!

Ajs

Post Your Comment
1/22/15 @ 10:22 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Piston was scored. Time to get serious about a new one. Anyone try the Strikemaster Chipper lite? Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/21/15 @ 8:25 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
As far as I know the drill has never had crap gas in it. I am pretty careful about that. I just took it in and told them to check the cylinder and go from there. It might just need a carb kit if the there is no scoring on the cylinder. If it is something major I will scrap it. Leaning towards the Ion right now although the Strikemaster Chipper lite is interesting. Not sure if I want to go with another under powered [potentially} unit but the weight is only a pound more than the Ion. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/21/15 @ 7:39 AM
walleye27
walleye27
USER since 1/25/07
if you want to sell it let me know 715-421-9996

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 8:11 PM
gspmanscott
gspmanscott
USER since 2/26/13
Wrong fuel mix ratio...old gas, didn't use any ethanol in the past?

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 10:15 AM
FVLuke
FVLuke
USER since 8/31/12
I have a jiffy as well mine has acted the same way and here is what I did to resolve the problem. 1) dump the gas out 2)using a hemostats check the fuel lines for hardness they should be flexible. If not replace them 3) replace spark plug with a high quality plug 4) mix new super unleaded with no ethanol!!! 5) test at home let it idle for 20 min rev it up a few times and repeat a few times just to add comfort.

If it starts and runs and does not get hot your good to go. If you have more problems and the cylinder walls look good then its the ignition coil and or carb rebuild time.

I can not stress enough the damage ethanol does to small engines in even one tank full. Good luck and stay on the top of the ice!!!

Post Your Comment
1/20/15 @ 7:51 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Thanks. I will check that. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 2:32 PM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
Sounds to me like you may have a scored cylinder which means the engine is not worth fixing. Easy way to check is pull the spark plug and shine a light in to the hole so you can see the cylinder walls. Mainly the muffler side. If you see what looks like a bunch of scratches that confirms it. Also you can unbolt the muffler and look at the side of the piston and look for the same.

Ajs

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 2:07 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Yeah. It conked out and wouldn't start. I gave it 10 minutes and it started again.

Post Your Comment
1/19/15 @ 1:16 PM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
When you say the drill stopped do you mean the engine quit?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts