Ice Chisel/Spud bars

12/16/14 @ 8:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Walleye Fisher
Walleye Fisher
USER since 3/28/05
Does anyone know of someone in the Oshkosh/Appleton area that makes homemade ice chisels? I'm looking to get my dad a nice heavy duty bar for Christmas, and the bars at Fleet Farm, Scheels, etc.. are so light, a guy would be spending half his day cutting holes instead of fishing. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
1/24/16 @ 4:32 PM
Southern Boy
Southern Boy
USER since 4/4/07
Walleye Fisher, I sent you a PM with some info.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 8:37 AM
Gone 4 Now
Gone 4 Now
USER since 4/26/08
I'm a old man too. I've always liked the $30.00 bars about 5 feet long most bait shops sell ( haven't needed a new one for 20 years so maybe there not in all shops anymore). They are red and have a carbide insert welded on the cutting edge, handle is solid 7/8 round stock, simple and effective. Note, They sink fast !

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 4:19 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05
Maybe try fleet or one of the box stores look for the tamping bars maybe hard to find this time of yrs.They have alot more weight than any of the commercial spuds.Use to use them for tree roots when I put up fencing years ago.That might be up your dads alley.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 8:30 PM
Walleye Fisher
Walleye Fisher
USER since 3/28/05
My dad will be 65 this May....

He has made it clear that he doesn't like the multi-blades that many of the companies are coming out with. Hence the reason I was hoping to find someone who makes their own so I could get a flat blade.

I know Christmas has come and gone, but if there is anyone that could help me out yet, I would still be willing to spend the money on a quality bar.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 12:08 PM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02
not sure how old your dad is ,but being old my self I want a lite spud but I use and auger to cut holes and a spud for old holes, saying that us old guys are set in our ways but some of us change our ways because old age makes us quiz your dad ,and the mill lacs spuds ain't a bad spud hard to find a better these days,me I am staying with my lite junk spud ..

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 7:43 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Look at some of the Eskimo Chisels with their multi blade

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 5:38 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05
That jiffy is a nice spud you don't want an over heavy spud that wears you out.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 8:06 PM
Walleye Fisher
Walleye Fisher
USER since 3/28/05
Thought I would try and "bump" this to the top.... Still looking to make this purchase for dad.

Any help?

Post Your Comment
12/17/14 @ 7:37 AM
walleye27
walleye27
USER since 1/25/07
buy him the jiffy deluxe mille lacs ice chisel best one i ever had in my hands for sure. very aggressive and buy far the only one i will ever own!!!!

Post Your Comment