Ice Auger Blade Covers - Please Use Them

2/4/16 @ 7:14 AM
ORIGINAL POST
blackhawks
blackhawks
USER since 12/28/03
I witnessed a near accident the other day while ice fishing for panfish. The sun came out and the ice became slick (no snow cover on this lake). A gentlemen had punched some holes and laid his hand auger on the ice without replacing the blade cover. He slipped and just missed his exposed blades. It is a good and safe practice to immediately replace your blade covers or drill into the ice so your auger remains upright while not being used. I know...this is common sense for most ice anglers but I looked around after this near miss and counted at least 5 other hand augers laying on the ice without their blade covers. Safety first.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
3/13/16 @ 1:47 PM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
I slipped on a small snow covered inland lake just moving a bit to dig another hole. Carrying the small hand auger in one hand, I nicked my kneecap deeply. Bloodied the snow suit a little, but it didn't hurt much 'till later, so I kept fishing.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 9:41 AM
Watchinbobbers
Watchinbobbers
USER since 6/30/10
Good points blackhawk.

I personally cut myself badly on an auger laying on the ice but stupidity was a large contributing factor to the accident. It was many years ago when I was dumber than I am now. A friend and I were fishing and drinking a lot. I was very drunk and somehow managed to fall off the pail I was sitting on and land on an auger with exposed blades. The tip of my thumb was sliced with the cut extending down and through the fingernail going almost halfway down the nail. There was a lot of blood. I wrapped the thumb in a bit of rag, put my chopper mitt back on and resumed fishing/drinking. The mitt got so blood soaked it was ruined. The thumb took a long time to heal.

So I can add don't get hammered while using dangerous equipment. Big Smile

Post Your Comment
2/8/16 @ 4:01 PM
blackhawks
blackhawks
USER since 12/28/03
I agree guys....if you partially cut a hole to keep your auger in an upright position....drill all the way through once done for the day. Luvh2o, I wasn't suggesting people were tripping on augers...people slipping on the ice, like I witnessed, and an uncovered auger is a lethal weapon.

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 10:00 AM
icewalker79
icewalker79
USER since 11/26/14
To add to luvh20's point, anybody fishing anywhere that drills partial holes as an auger prop NEEDS to drill the hole the rest of the way through the ice at the end of the day! Unfinished auger holes stay that way - unfinished. Even an inch of snow blowing will fill in the hole and very quickly become an ankle-breaking hazard for anyone else on the ice later on. Be smart, and don't be lazy! Happy fishing!

Post Your Comment
2/6/16 @ 5:18 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
If you're really thinking "safety first". I would argue those partially drilled 8" holes are even more dangerous. (I don't think they make 10" hand augers?)

After you're long gone you've pretty much left a booby trap for somebody else who may be walking along. Especially if there's some fresh snow covering up that partial hole.

Personally I've never seen anybody trip over an auger. I have seen people trip over holes and kids step right into fully drilled holes.

No doubt though that a covered auger is much safer when not in use.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 3:37 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I use a hammer drill to run my auger so here are some additional tips I learned.

1) Set to Neutral or locked position when not in use so you don't bump trigger by accident

2) if you have kids around, just unplug battery when not in use as additional safety.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 1:35 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
VERY good idea blackhawks!!!! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 12:50 PM
boge
boge
USER since 2/2/06
Thats a good reminder!Like having two razor blades out in the open.One wrong move......

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 5:01 AM
lunker75
lunker75
USER since 12/13/13
Blackhawks thanks for the info i use to leave my auger uncovered once and a while not anymore. ...

Post Your Comment
2/4/16 @ 9:42 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10
It's also hard on shacks. I had mine was on my 4 Wheeler rack and lazily didn't put cover on and when taking down my 6 man frabil the wind caught it and the roof hit the blades and cut a 5 inch hole in it. Was so pissed at myself for this. Never will do that again.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts