Hubs in the wind

2/18/16 @ 5:52 AM
ORIGINAL POST
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05
Best set up diagonal or rope on facing wind.Just got one for the ease of set up and weight plus my son in a few years.Had it up twice 1st no wind 2nd time 20 to 30 gusts a little bit of a pain.Any tips from from the frequent users,besides staking down first.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
2/21/16 @ 8:40 AM
brooky
brooky
USER since 1/31/13
Well I decided to fish in the wind friday and learned some things with the new otter pop up. The corners are not pointy and in high winds you must get the hub facing the wind. This means that if the winds change you need to change with them. In high winds the roundish corners flatten out and compress and the shelter will only be 4 ft high in the corner. It is not as sleek as the old shelter so it catches twice the wind. My last one was not only pointy on all corners but also 1 ft shorter on one side than the other. This enabled me to put a smaller area facing the wind. Must use the floor anchors with grommets to hold it down in high winds. There was no snow to throw on the skirt and standing water on the ice so that did not help. We were able to fish out of the wind fairly comfortably and i got it set up and put away in what I guess was a steady 25mph wind and 45 mph gusts. It was a two man job I don't think it would have been possible alone.

One thing I would like to know is if anyone has a good way to keep the anchors covered so they don't melt out and start to give. On a sunny day this will happen. I usually just set a bucket beside them so they are shaded and its no problem.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 11:35 PM
Poison
Poison
USER since 3/2/10
Great info here. Nice work guys.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 9:11 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
I do not own a pop up. Have used one with my buddy several times. He has the digger ice Angels. They are awesome. If I remember right he paid 40 for 4 of them I believe. Not 100 percent sure. But they weren't that much. If your handy it wouldn't take much to make your own similar setup.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 4:42 PM
porchp
porchp
USER since 11/22/09
I have a 5 sided hub. Mine has the tie downs already connected to the hubs so I open mine up and put a anchor in with a cordless drill and tie it down right away. mine also has tie downs inside if I need extra holding power

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 3:32 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Instead of anchors we bought a pack of lag bolts so we could zip them in quickly with a cordless drill.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 11:41 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
I set mine up with a corner into the wind. Stake that corner down first and then get the other two that could catch wind down next. I don't stake the corner that is out of the wind down until everything is set up because I've found that a hub that's pinned down and not popped out can be a bit of a bear when the sides have a mind of their own. I want a little bit of wiggle room so it can flex until it's fully up.

As a temporary fix I'll tie the side that is catching the most wind to my auger if I've walked out or to my truck if I've driven out. Then I pack the wind blown side with snow and pin that last remaining corner down.

Inside my hub I place my tank top heater in the corner that gets directly blasted by the wind. The tank itself will give a little extra support when the wind really slams into that side. I also set anything else that might have a little bit of weight on the windy side for extra support but usually in heavy winds I have that wall roped to my truck/auger or to the ice.

I've set mine up by myself in 25-30 mile an hour winds. Patience is needed in conditions like that but it is possible. One thing you never, ever want to do is place your hub on the ice where the wind is blowing directly into the door. You open that baby up and she'll take off on you. Luckily I've never had that happen but I've seen it happen to others.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 11:39 AM
brooky
brooky
USER since 1/31/13
I put 1 anchor in and pop out the first side. I run a quality bungee from the anchor to the metal ring on the hub side facing the wind. Make sure there is no way for it to come loose and hang on anyway.. then I pop the other three sides out. Then If its blowing really hard I will anchor the other 2 sides that the wind is whooshing by. I only use the down wind door in high winds. I have no problem setting it up myself this way. Sometimes I will double anchor the windward side just for peace of mind. I generally only use one anchor on the windy side unless its blowing over 15. I never use anchors where the skirt is. Its a total waste of time.I have never come close to getting blown away like this.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 10:45 AM
northernexsposure
northernexsposure
USER since 3/15/08
An extra set of hands is very helpful in windy conditions. Make sure you run a rope from the hub on the windy side and stake that in. I have heard when those hubs "pop" in they can break bones. And if you are sitting it is right at head level. Throw snow around the skirt. It is a short battle to get them up in the wind.

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 9:08 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
Pick up some Digger Ice Angels, much easier and faster than any stakes

Post Your Comment
2/18/16 @ 8:36 AM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08
Main thing like you say....stake down first.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts