how to not get ice build up on auger blades

2/11/14 @ 11:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
shakey47
shakey47
USER since 7/15/05
hi I got a eskimio quantum 8inch auger love it cuts fast duo blades but the problem is I get buildup on blades u got to chipped it off to cut more holes I tried cooking spray,remmy oil.. any other ideas wax it ?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
10/12/14 @ 5:58 AM
Namvet
Namvet
USER since 1/9/09
This may sound dumb, but I wipe water proof boot polish, clear, on the auger every couple of weeks. I've done this for years and never had any problems with ice build up. It takes a few minutes to apply and wipe off, but it's worth the effort. Once it dries I don't have any worries about leaving a film in the water, etc. After I pull up the auger I spin it for a few seconds and all the water is gone.

Post Your Comment
10/7/14 @ 5:36 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I use Pam grill spray. It works great. Pledge would probably work just as good.

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 11:43 AM
hookinbiglips
hookinbiglips
USER since 2/25/07
After you cut your hole full throttle it in the air for 10 sec gets alot of water off!

Post Your Comment
10/6/14 @ 8:32 AM
NoFishInThisLake
NoFishInThisLake
USER since 10/27/10
hey piker biker, not condoning at all but come on now, have you ever looked in the water after running an out board, way more crap going in the water.

Post Your Comment
2/20/14 @ 6:22 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
Really not good to put all those chemicals in the water! Maybe not so much PAM but it certainly isn't helping anything. As stated earlier with the warm days you shouldn't have any problems. Could be the paint or lack of as well. I clear a small space with my boot to lay the auger on to avoid collecting snow.

Post Your Comment
2/17/14 @ 8:49 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
I stole a can of cooking spray oil from the wife's kitchen. Wish I would have done that years ago. Nothing sticks to the auger anymore. Well, on a really cold day drilling 40 holes, I may have to give it another shot, so I keep the spray can along with me now

Post Your Comment
2/16/14 @ 4:59 PM
kindakatchi
kindakatchi
USER since 11/18/03
Had a strike lite since they 1st came out,thought this yr I'd have problems 30in ice but spinning the blade When done drilling still does the trick! Cool

Post Your Comment
2/12/14 @ 3:32 PM
Grass_hopper
Grass_hopper
USER since 7/8/13
Sprayed my auger with Pledge and I also give it an extra spin when I'm done drilling.

Post Your Comment
2/12/14 @ 6:37 AM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
After drilling you can drill a part hole to clean and dry the blades. Even just a few inches will clean and dry the blades. Then the guard can go on.

Post Your Comment
2/11/14 @ 12:40 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Now that the sun's getting higher it has warmth even when the temp's in the single digits. I prop the icy end up when I'm done cutting holes. Once it starts to melt I remove the rest of the ice so I can cover the blades asap: I've heard too many storied about uncovered blades.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts