How to decide when your blades need to be sharpened?

1/5/16 @ 10:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
How often do you have your blades sharpened? And, how do you determine when to have them sharpened? It's such a subtle thing with them getting dull. They'll still work, but one day you just have a hunch they aren't cutting as smooth as they used to be. So, how do you test sharpness? I tried carefully with my finger last night and it was going well until I noticed some blood coming out. True story. But, seriously, how do you test blade sharpness other than just a hunch??? I don't want to waste money if it's not necessary yet.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
1/9/16 @ 12:37 AM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
n.pike, if your ION is still falling thru the ice on it's own I'd say you're still good. Soon as you think you want to add some downward pressure because it's not cutting fast enough, then worry about blade sharpening. Also be aware differing hardness of ice, while new ice is really hard it gets really soft in late season.

Also consider buying a new set. That way you'll have sharp blades to use while the others are in the shop. It's always nice to have a spare pair.

Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 12:23 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
The rubber band idea was a good one. It didn't take much to split the rubber band. Also, the sharpness can be felt just by very carefully taking my thumb from the bottom up.

About the cutting edge, I see what you guys are saying about the light or a different shade on part of the blade. I used a flashlight and this worked pretty good. How much of the blade can be compromised where you see a bit different edge/cut on it where you'd still be ok with it?

I'm using an ION and want to minimize extra work for the machine if possible. If it were a hand auger like I had used in the past, I was a little more tolerant of a dullish blade.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 12:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Since I have a guy who sharpens blades locally, I have mine done every other seasons depending on how much I use my auger. Dull blades are not only a pain in the rear but are hard on your clutch and gear box. The guy sharpens them very reasonably and gets them so sharp that he dips them in wax so I don't slice myself up installing them.

Post Your Comment
1/7/16 @ 11:32 AM
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
i do not resharpen blades i buy new every year. however that being said I know how expensive new blades are my test for sharpness is to run them across a thick rubber band using very little pressure if the band slices easily they are sharp as hell fingers work too but rubber bands dont bleed

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 7:42 PM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
When you and your buddy have to put all your weight on the auger and still take 2-3 mins to drill a hole Big Smile

seen it twice last yr.once on Green Bay and once on Lawrance lake could have swore it was the same two.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 3:11 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12
I agree with the guy about holding the cutting edge in the light, you will clearly be able to see what part of the blade is sharp and what part is dull. The hardest thing on blades is dirty ice, ice that has dirt or and in it is super hard on blades.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 12:55 PM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02
when an auger does not shave or cut ice it is time as for sharpness you can shave with a dull auger blade , and well second earlier statement that you should not need to put weight on a auger ,not only well it bend the blade edges it may bend the auger mounting heads and new blades well then be good money after bad ,at one time strike master would tune or re true your auger for you now that a big corp, bought them that ain't so sure they still do that.( bending blades is another reason you don't hit the ice with your auger just set it on ice and turn,)

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 1:57 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Look at the cutting egdge with reading glasses - or if you already use reading glasses,those glasses AND a magnifying glass. I have a mounted shop magnifier with built in light.

Look at the exact cutting edge. You'll see some wear. Light will shine off the worn,"rounded" edge just a little bit.

It should be pretty obvious and you shouldn't really need the magnifier - especially if you've got another sharp (extra) pair of blades to compare them to....But if I remember right,you ain't got the eyeballs of a spring chicken neither,so magnification can't hurt.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 12:20 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03
The dulling of blades in many cases can be attributed to operator error. Case in point. Two guys I know have identical augers. One insists on putting as much weight onto his when he drills holes and as a result his never cuts right shortly after new blades are put on. The other guy cuts twice as many holes but puts hardly any weight on his and he gets multiple seasons from his blades. It's an avoidable headache if people only knew not to push down on these things. Whether it's a power or a hand auger it doesn't matter. The blades are to have a fine edge on them and if you bend them even slightly by putting too much weight on them they won't work right. More often than not it's chalked up to blades becoming dull. Nope. They got bent. Good luck putting an edge on damaged blades like this yourself.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 11:56 PM
fishhook
fishhook
USER since 9/16/01
I own a 25yr old Jiffy 8" model 30. I sharpen the chipper blade,& center point with a file at the end of the icefishing season,then smear with a very thin coat of grease,summerize auger,put away till next ice season. I might touch up blade with file once during the icefish season if I feel it might need it,as chipper blades are very easy to sharpen. Sharp blades make for fast,easy,drillin.

Now, my new Ion electric ice auger shaver blades are a different animal for me to sharpen. Will see how that goes.

Hook

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts