Homemade Ice Fishing Stuff

11/16/11 @ 11:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
backwoods43
backwoods43
USER since 3/14/10
I know there are topics for homemade tip ups, automatic fishermans, etc. I just thought we could wrap it all up in one by showing ANYTHING homemade that could save anyone money or make someones ice fishing trip easier.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 398 Posts
10/27/18 @ 11:19 AM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Decided to build a permanent shanty this year. Still like my one man popup but more and more fish the lake close to me and would like to stay out all night like I did years ago.

Coming along pretty good. Walls are made from the centers of insulated vinyl doors  (1 1/2" foam, vinyl on both sides) . Got these off craigslist years ago from a guy who works at a door company, they cut out the centers of doors to put in glass.

The holes in the floor hold a bucket with the bottom cut out. Saw this on a show last year. keeps snow and wind blowing under the shanty out of the hole and shanty. One more bench, door latch and a few little things to go.

Post Your Comment
10/19/18 @ 6:59 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
Still needs some modifications, but the jist of it is complete. Made the back rack out of an old ladder tree stand, had my boss weld me the front rack. It's not going to win any beauty contests but it'll ride.

Post Your Comment
3/12/18 @ 9:01 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

BigwoodsHunter asked me about my home made ice fishfinder that doubles as my open water sonar. Part of this set up is the Humminbird sonars (matrix 37, and the newer 597dHD). I mention both because this gives me two of the snap on mounting brackets so I don't have to unscrew the boat one to use on my cedar ice fishing box in the pic. The best part is; the transducer for the 37 works great with the 597 so I can drag around the unit with a mapping chip out on the ice, by unsnapping it from my boat and popping it on my "ice box". The close up is for how I bolted and taped the 'ducer to the Tite-Loc clamp built to make any unit portable ($40 bucks? from Fleet). Note the little hardware straps that allow the connection of the transducer. The middle pic shows the parts laid out, including the taped up insulated "bag" I made to help the battery keep it's charge on the colder mornings.

Post Your Comment
2/18/18 @ 10:12 AM
luremaker
luremaker
USER since 1/23/12

I do but workin the weekend. Will post this week

Post Your Comment
2/17/18 @ 8:08 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Luremaker, do you have any pictures in the light? Just curious. I do like the Blue led

Post Your Comment
2/16/18 @ 4:33 PM
luremaker
luremaker
USER since 1/23/12

LED tip up lights. I'm makin a bunch if anyone is interested. Super bright

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 11:09 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05
I took my sense of adventure out behind the wedshed and shot it when I got my first mortgage.

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 6:57 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

Just had a thought on the attached marker. If you made it from say.....1/2 a yard stick, you would have a ruler at each tip up to check that 15" eye.

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 5:53 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
USER since 10/27/02
I really like the marker idea.  Mr. Seaguar, wheres your sense of adventure?  With the speed quadrupled you might be going what, 12 mph?

Post Your Comment
2/4/18 @ 5:26 PM
Polski
Polski
MEMBER since 5/11/03

These are two things I did to my Beaver Dams many years ago.

First I used a hacksaw and cut, then filed smooth a slot into the top part of the ring. If a pike runs off a bunch of line I can just slip it out of the ring and wrap it back on the spool much quicker, also nice if wrapping big hooks or line markers that won't fit through the hole.

I added a tip up marker made from a piece of 1 x 1/4 aluminum bar I had (could also use hardwood). I attached it through the same bolt hole that's already there and with the wing nut it's always with the tip up and folds down for storage. You could make these as long as you think needed, I painted and added reflective tape.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 398 Posts