MORE
Ice Fishing

Holes Freezing

1/14/19 @ 9:52 AM
INITIAL POST
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Hey All,

with the cooler temps coming in - wondering if you had acquired any hacks over the  years (legal) that keep your holes from freezing, as to not have to skim every 10 minutes or so in the really cold temps.. without having to pay $120 for the new boxes and what not that are out there... it seems that at the really cold temps, not even hole covers help much.. just curious as to what methods are out there i'm not thinking of... Thanks!

edit: talking fishing with Tip-Ups not not jigging, of course. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
3/4/19 @ 8:55 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Picked up 2 of the Finicky Fish hole covers last spring and have been using them a lot this year. They work great.

Holes Freezing photo by USAbrams1991
3/3/19 @ 8:49 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Paint those pails flat black. It’ll draw heat? UV rays? Whatever. I paint my Beaver Dams.   CARPIO 

3/3/19 @ 8:15 AM
big_fishman
User since 10/13/09

I used to use heated boxes.  They work but a PIA.  Now i use beaver dam tipups with foam seats from menards.  They are 5 buck normal price but go on sale for 2.50.  I cut a slot in them for the tip up...unlike the store ones...no one inch hole.  Set the tip up. Pack the sides so it stays in place.  Really cold nights put a little snow on them.  I have been out -15 no problems

1/26/19 @ 10:18 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

That's the whole idea of these threads is to get a bunch of ideas out there, both good and bad. Bending a piece of copper pipe and crimping one end to stick in the coals; scoop a little water from the hole into the end and heat it up. Who'd a thunk? Thanks to P. Swede for the earlier post.

1/24/19 @ 11:34 PM
Bud Wise 2
Bud Wise 2
User since 9/5/13

check out water spiter got me thinking 

1/24/19 @ 11:29 PM
Bud Wise 2
Bud Wise 2
User since 9/5/13

ive used canned sardines in oil for chum noticed holes dont freeze as fast

1/24/19 @ 11:25 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I've seen pails with the bottom cut out for sight fishing  but not for tipups. 

1/24/19 @ 10:29 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

That sounds like a really good idea. You could probably insulate the inside of it which would help too. Hurry up and make a few...good opportunity to check out how well they work coming up! 

A thought I had last night was along the lines of the coffee can trick mentioned previously, but just nailing a some type of can to a board or something so the bottom of the can is in the water and sticking some charcoal in there. Would imagine that should keep it pretty ice free. And I'm sure you can find smaller cans as necessary. The size of the hole will likely determine what you can use.

1/23/19 @ 7:52 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

Has anyone cut the bottom couple inches off five gallon buckets to set tipups on.  Drempt it up and was curious if I'm way late on that one.   

1/23/19 @ 7:25 PM
Can of Worms
Can of Worms
PRO MEMBER User since 8/3/09

I like hand warmer ideal to but I though they need air to work

1/23/19 @ 4:13 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Yeah another thing in the hole and another thing hanging down walking between holes would be my biggest complaint. Eventually you'd need a 10" hole to fit everything and a separate sled to pull the unit

1/23/19 @ 4:01 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I agree, I don't think I spend enough time in one hole to make it work. Very seldom do you get to camp over fish, usually it's a few minutes before no marks or you have taken the active fish and you need to move on.

Also the last thing I need is something else hanging in the hole for a fish to tangle on. LOL

1/23/19 @ 2:46 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I was just up at Winnibigoshish this past week on a spur of the moment type trip. Temps were below zero with wind chills pushing 30-40 below. The one nice day we had(5 above 0) I went bombing around to try to find some walleyes. I ran into a guy using this very thing. I chatted with him about it and watched how it worked. It was doing what it's intended to do.It seems kind of gimmicky to me as well, but to each their own. He was over one hole so that worked at keeping that one open. I drill and move so much that I honestly don't think that would help me. By the time I get to the last hole I drilled I usually have to heel kick it open. Then if I don't see a fish in a couple minutes I move on, so I don't think that would be of much use to my style.

1/23/19 @ 12:16 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Seems to be more designed for hole hopping. Would attach right to the flasher battery. The lithium shuttle proves that you can't put a price on convenience and if it works good, $100 to avoid the hole skimming over is worth it to some people. Not to mention there is nothing else like it on the market, so you really can't claim that it is over-priced except for maybe a personal budget.

1/23/19 @ 8:37 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

New for 2019, not applicable for tip-up fishing but for hole hopping.

Cold Nation Outdoors Ice-Defense

At first glance it seemed stupid to me, kind of like the gill-o-tines. Over priced and not needed. But thinking back to hole-hopping this past weekend in single digit temps and negative wind-chill, I might give it some thought. I don't use skimmers or wear gloves so my hands take a beating in those cold temps. If this works as good as they claim, I could see it being worthwhile. The only thing more annoying than eyelets freezing up is your line getting caught in skim ice that forms so you can't sense those up-bites or light taps...

Displaying 1 to 15 of 32 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE