Greedy bait shops

1/6/17 @ 6:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fisheswithU2
fisheswithU2
USER since 4/29/14

Has anyone else had issues with bait size, quality, and price the past few years? Price goes up and size is going down. This made me laugh way too hard yesterday (see photo). I asked if it was a typo and was told no. I wished them good luck on selling them and walked out. 90% of the suckers were 3-4" with maybe 3-4 that may have been 7". This was always known as "northern mix" and would be $8 a dozen at multiple shops. The others shops changed suppliers (much smaller minnows) or dont carry them anymore. I also saw a sign listing medium shiners for $9 at a different shop. I asked if that was a typo, and again was told no. Even fatheads are $2.50-$3 for small and $4 for large at a few locations.

SE WI seems to be the worst of the areas I fish. Central WI I can get medium shiners for $4 and I'll get 14-15 of them. Northern MN I can get the same suckers for $8-$10 a dozen (same price I was used to) and fatheads for $2 and get way more than a dozen. Maybe it's time to start growing my own minnows in a friends old fish farm ponds. 

Edited on 1/6/17 6:20 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
1/18/17 @ 3:11 PM
krusen_for_carp
krusen_for_carp
USER since 10/7/16

13 large suckers for $40 is crazy

Post Your Comment
1/18/17 @ 1:25 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05

Yeah expensive round these parts but ive had a couple dozen or so minnows for at least 3 weeks now.Use'm when I can, I usually get my propane and a couple sodas from them when I go out.

Post Your Comment
1/17/17 @ 8:53 PM
Sarcastic Jack
Sarcastic Jack
USER since 1/10/16

You have to pay to play. There's probably not much money in it for the shop owner.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 3:27 PM
madcelt
madcelt
USER since 3/13/02

Running a business is expensive but $39.99 for 13 northern mix suckers is nuts.  Prices would drop if we were allowed to trap our own minnows again but I too do not want to take the chance of spreading VHS.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 2:56 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

Bait in Wisconsin is expensive throughout the whole state.  The two bait shops by me in Illinois are either 1/2 or 2/3 the price depending on what you get.  We don't have much for suckers though.  I pay $1.50 per dozen for small fatheads.  Our Medium Shiner/Golden Roaches are $4.50 per dozen and they're the size of the Wisconsin large I pay $9.50 for up there.  I'll pay it though as I'm sure running a small bait shop doesn't give you much money to live off of and if it wasn't for the local stores I'd have to drive far to get bait.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 1:03 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

The best bait shops I find are usually part of a gas station.  There is one by my house where I asked for a half dozen Large golden shiners for $4.  I got almost 1.5 dozen.  Had I bought those up north I'd have gotten 6.  But in that case I think they use the bait more to get people in the store to buy other things.  Gas, food, etc.  They can't profit much on bait sales giving it away like that.

If you can buy minnows by the pound, that is sometimes cheaper too.  I only know a few places that do that though.

Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 12:23 PM
Harris17
Harris17
USER since 12/14/07

Wow, one of the last small businesses that I would ever criticize as greedy would be a bait shop owner. Minnow and sucker prices have gone way up for them over the past few years and they have to pass that along.  These guys are working extra long hours and are not making a killing in this business. geez

Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 11:58 AM
Bull Gill
Bull Gill
USER since 2/7/02

ulbrian. has it right  the great gas gouge started late 74 if memory serves maybe 75 when it hit $1.59 and up from there

Post Your Comment
1/8/17 @ 1:01 PM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
USER since 12/26/10

I will bet that it costs a lot more to run a bait shop in SE WI,versus up north.Plus most bait shops charge what the market will bear.

The VHS thing is what started it all.Willowcats used to be about 3.75/doz.Now you are lucky to find them for less than 18.00/doz.And that is in less than a 10 year span.

Post Your Comment
1/8/17 @ 10:54 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

"Back in the sixties gas was a buck and a quarter a gallon"

No it wasn't.  Your numbers are a bit off there.  The average cost in 1960 for a gallon of gas was 25 cents.  In 1970 it was 36 cents.  Far cry from a buck and a quarter per gallon.  

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts