Greedy bait shops

1/6/17 @ 7:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fisheswithU2
fisheswithU2
USER since 4/29/14

Has anyone else had issues with bait size, quality, and price the past few years? Price goes up and size is going down. This made me laugh way too hard yesterday (see photo). I asked if it was a typo and was told no. I wished them good luck on selling them and walked out. 90% of the suckers were 3-4" with maybe 3-4 that may have been 7". This was always known as "northern mix" and would be $8 a dozen at multiple shops. The others shops changed suppliers (much smaller minnows) or dont carry them anymore. I also saw a sign listing medium shiners for $9 at a different shop. I asked if that was a typo, and again was told no. Even fatheads are $2.50-$3 for small and $4 for large at a few locations.

SE WI seems to be the worst of the areas I fish. Central WI I can get medium shiners for $4 and I'll get 14-15 of them. Northern MN I can get the same suckers for $8-$10 a dozen (same price I was used to) and fatheads for $2 and get way more than a dozen. Maybe it's time to start growing my own minnows in a friends old fish farm ponds. 

Edited on 1/6/17 7:20 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
1/26/17 @ 11:13 AM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03

MS it sure brings back memories of Tews on the South side of Oshkosh. I  think there wasn't a day that  went by the five or six old timers sitting around the table in the front of the shop, weren't catching limits of everything that swam in lake Winnebago. Tews was more then just a sporting and bait shop, it was an institution. A far as bait and tackle went I don't think there was  anything Ed didn't carry or couldn't get. I think he died in 2009 and his wife ran it until 2014 when the doors were closed for good.

Edited on 1/26/17 11:22 AM
Post Your Comment
1/26/17 @ 10:22 AM
UFCreel
UFCreel
USER since 1/4/11

With bad ice almost everywhere now. Now is the time to hit up the bait shops and buy something. They are all hurting around here right now.

Post Your Comment
1/25/17 @ 12:46 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
USER since 2/5/05

1 fowl one, I totally agree. Even if I am not fishing I love stopping at bait shops. Another thing that bait shops need is chairs. Sit down and hang out for awhile.

Post Your Comment
1/25/17 @ 9:37 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

I look at it this way. Between bait and bullets, it's a small price to pay to keep my sanity.

I'll always support my local bait shop. And any others I see. When on a road trip, vacation, or just running around. If the kids or I see one, we got to stop in. I'll buy gifts, souvenirs, necessities, sometimes just a soda, bag of chips and a couple suckers for the kids and browse their selection. A old local bait shop always brings back great memories. Not sure if it's the smell, sounds, the colors, the new gear, the old faded pictures or the dusty old $#!+ that's been hanging on the wall forever? Sometimes it really gets me reminiscing. Thinking about all the great times my Pops and I had when I was a kid. And it started at the bait shop. And now as a adult. I see them as a piece of old local history. In some old towns it's the only small business that is left. The old Barber, butcher shops, and old little diners they are gone. Got devoured by the chain stores, "the fast and now". So I'll pay more at the local bait shop and get the memories, history, the knowledge, gear with my bucket of bait. And keep supporting a local bait shop.

Some could use a couple small improvements. (Try to put a guy or high school kid that actually fishes and wants to work behind the counter)

Just as i have told everyone I know. If I ever when the lotto or my business explodes and I sell it for Millions. I would offer some of these bait shop owners in my favorite fishing and duck hunting  towns a deal they couldn't refuse. Buy them up, and turn them into a bait and hunting gear hang out. Id just sit around, bull $#!+ and give bait away. And I'd still have the old faded pictures, 50 year old pike mounts, dusty out-of-date gear, a old local knowledgeable fellow at the counter and leaky boats for rent. Just something for guys look forward to. Lol.

Post Your Comment
1/18/17 @ 4:11 PM
krusen_for_carp
krusen_for_carp
USER since 10/7/16

13 large suckers for $40 is crazy

Post Your Comment
1/18/17 @ 2:25 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05

Yeah expensive round these parts but ive had a couple dozen or so minnows for at least 3 weeks now.Use'm when I can, I usually get my propane and a couple sodas from them when I go out.

Post Your Comment
1/17/17 @ 9:53 PM
Sarcastic Jack
Sarcastic Jack
USER since 1/10/16

You have to pay to play. There's probably not much money in it for the shop owner.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 4:27 PM
madcelt
madcelt
USER since 3/13/02

Running a business is expensive but $39.99 for 13 northern mix suckers is nuts.  Prices would drop if we were allowed to trap our own minnows again but I too do not want to take the chance of spreading VHS.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 3:56 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

Bait in Wisconsin is expensive throughout the whole state.  The two bait shops by me in Illinois are either 1/2 or 2/3 the price depending on what you get.  We don't have much for suckers though.  I pay $1.50 per dozen for small fatheads.  Our Medium Shiner/Golden Roaches are $4.50 per dozen and they're the size of the Wisconsin large I pay $9.50 for up there.  I'll pay it though as I'm sure running a small bait shop doesn't give you much money to live off of and if it wasn't for the local stores I'd have to drive far to get bait.

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 2:03 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

The best bait shops I find are usually part of a gas station.  There is one by my house where I asked for a half dozen Large golden shiners for $4.  I got almost 1.5 dozen.  Had I bought those up north I'd have gotten 6.  But in that case I think they use the bait more to get people in the store to buy other things.  Gas, food, etc.  They can't profit much on bait sales giving it away like that.

If you can buy minnows by the pound, that is sometimes cheaper too.  I only know a few places that do that though.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts