SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Good places to live for Ice Fishing

5/6/19 @ 12:53 PM
INITIAL POST
djlangen
PRO MEMBER User since 2/10/13
If there was one spot where you could live in the state for good ice fishing, where would it be and why? I'm saving up for a property in retirement, and would like to be close to good panfish waters.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
6/2/19 @ 8:34 PM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

I second the LaCrossw area and Lake Onalaska/Mississippi backwaters. There is so much area to fish where you can literally pick and choose what you want to fish for. Plus if you invest in a hover boat you can fish ALOT of waters that most ice fisherman can’t get to. Plus on that system you have the chance at a trophy perch, Gill, crappie any time you put a line in the water. The pressure that area gets is rediculos but it never fails to produce year after year.

5/15/19 @ 8:20 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Onalaska!     CARPIO 

5/13/19 @ 5:26 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Wouldn't be right if I didn't toot the Green Bay horn. It's not a little cabin in the woods but.... Once the ice firms up on the Bay, you fish walleyes, whitefish, and perch. If you can't wait you shoot over to Shawano. If you get bored with whitefish you can shoot down to Bago. Equally important is the Fox River before ice out. When things warm up I love to hit the Big Pond for trout and salmonids in Kewaunee. AlI of these places including Oconto are under an hour's drive away. I can't afford to retire anywhere else but I'm not going to complain. I feel pretty good about year round fishing opportunities right here.

5/10/19 @ 3:26 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Vilas Co. Tons of lakes with great access and you'd be close enough to UP waters like Gogebic.

5/10/19 @ 8:55 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Hayward is good for all ages! Plenty of remote lakes with trophy fish that take work to access, and plenty of lakes with extensive road-ways to be able to drive right to a spot. Hard to find a lake you can't catch a fish in, at least from my limited experience of fishing the area a half dozen times a year. Have yet to run into a resort owner or fellow fisherman who wasn't friendly plus you can get paid to keep snot-rockets on the flowage, what's better than that??

5/9/19 @ 2:34 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Aaah --- but at what age? Guaranteed to get three different answers between the young physically fit studleys, slightly over weight middle agers, and old geezers like me who don't like long winters with deep snow and hard to get at places. Of course this only applies to the cradle to death icers who would dare answer a question like this ... Me included ! --- LOL

5/9/19 @ 1:14 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Personally I never want to leave Wisconsin, so if I have to pick one spot in the state it's the Hayward area.  I grew up going to a small lake up there and always loved it.  Great fishing for every species.  There's nice perch in some lakes, big bluegills, northern, excellent musky fishing, walleye fishing is excellent too, and the bass fishing...some of the best in the state, in my opinion.  You're still relatively close to larger cities like Eau Claire or Minneapolis, and Lake Superior isn't that far either for lake trout or just visiting the beauty of that area.  Without a doubt, and it's on my bucket list...I'll move to Hayward.  All that has to happen for that to occur is my wife dies first.  She wants to live down south....way south! I want to move north to enjoy longer winters!  Southern Wisconsin just doesn't have long enough winters for me!
5/8/19 @ 10:38 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I read a bunch of reports from Idaho from this year and what I saw wasn't that rosy. Some lakes have tons of medium sized perch, some have a few ginormous perch, some have millions of dinks. 

5/8/19 @ 12:53 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

If it’s specifically for perch then you move to Idaho. There is nothing on the planet that comes anywhere close to what those lakes are producing right now. Not Devil’s Lake, not any river, nothing. The quirk to it is that these are “new” fisheries that are early in their development so it remains to be seen if they will continue to produce the way they are now once they age. 

If you make a trip out there before you make a trip to North Dakota or the Mississippi River it’ll destroy your perception of what a good perch fishery is. The Devils Lake area and the Mississippi River are good but compared to what Idaho has going on right now they are huge disappointments. 

5/7/19 @ 9:24 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Depends what you consider a good panfish area. To me, catching is one thing but solitude is just as important. Mississippi is arguably the best perch factory in the country (so I'm told, never had a burning desire to try it despite living within an hour). If I stayed in WI I would go with Hayward area first (less tourism) and Vilas county second.

5/7/19 @ 9:07 AM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Plenty of good waters in southern WI,  as has been mentioned. However, if you are strictly an ice fisherman, living in northern WI will maximize your time spent on the ice. The ice fishing season is much longer.
5/6/19 @ 10:29 PM
Tank 71
User since 4/5/05

The Madison area is full of good pan fishing.  It's also within driving distance for a weekend on the Mississippi.  If I had to pick an area though it would be anywhere along the Mississippi river.

5/6/19 @ 8:44 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Ice Fishing..... Alma, WI 

Pan fishing in the entire area along the Mississippi is as good as any destination you would spend 10 hours to drive to in another state.

5/6/19 @ 2:30 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Just ice fishing?  I'd be saying g goodbye to WI and heading to Devils Lake ND

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE