Flip Over Shanty Sled Repair

3/2/15 @ 7:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
JustPerchinAround
JustPerchinAround
USER since 1/16/14
So I have had a Frabill Commando for quite a few years now. The canvas is still in great shape, but the sled has taken a real beating over the years and the corners of the plastic actually have holes in them. I am just curious if any of you guys have a quick repair that could extend the life of this thing a few more seasons. (I am not the handiest guy n the world….lol)
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts
1/18/16 @ 6:38 PM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
You might want to check with an auto body shop to see if they can "weld" plastic.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 6:34 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01
Ace canvas west bend

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 4:50 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
Anyone have thoughts on a reliable patch repair method for the canvas ? I had mice chew a couple small holes in my Otter over the summer...

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 1:59 PM
Bobberboy
Bobberboy
USER since 12/11/03
Thanks CD. Harken was on my list too call.. Use to be a place called quik hut, but that appears to be no longer, unless they changed there name.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 1:18 PM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Years ago I had Harken Canvas in Pewaukee repair the zipper...just so happens it was a Snoboat too.

Not sure if they still do it and if they do,just how expensive.

But the seamstress/tailer/clothing repair shop in Waukesha that I regularly use probably would be capable. They've got big power sewing machines for the thick canvas... I'm certain that the leather shop/cobbler I use in Waukesha could also handle it.

Don't know the names of either but point is that there's probably someone near you in Milwaukee that can handle the job. Maybe look in YP online for 'alterations' or 'sewing'.

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 10:38 AM
Bobberboy
Bobberboy
USER since 12/11/03
Anyone out there know of a place close to Milw that can install a new zipper on my snoboat.

Post Your Comment
11/29/15 @ 11:07 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
You don't even need to buy a plastic weld kit. What works better for me is a torch (propane or mapp) and a metal scraper. Cut up any plastic that you wanna use and use, heat the metal scraper and use it like a putty knife. Take plastic scrap and use it as a filler. Use torch to heat plastic as needed. Works well. Again the more you do it the better you get at it. Do not breath fumes obviously.

Post Your Comment
11/29/15 @ 10:48 AM
BAK922
BAK922
USER since 11/19/14
Clean it good with some alcohol then throw on some Gorilla tape and cover the Gorilla tape with some plastic weld epoxy and for extra coverage/protection get a rattle can of truck bed liner and spray on a few coats.

Post Your Comment
3/30/15 @ 8:14 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
USER since 2/12/02
I have used the plasti weld kit for repairing my sleds in the past. Works great and I would highly reccomend this way. Just take your time and you can make a seemless repair. Then go buy some down hill skis and attach them to the bottom. No more holes.... and as a side benefit it helps keep it tracking straight behind you. I get 3-4 years out of my skis and I am rough on them.

Post Your Comment
3/26/15 @ 8:42 AM
Point Muskie Hunter
Point Muskie Hunter
USER since 1/28/13
I had this happen to my clam kenai and I used a gas tank repair kit that had expoy and a sheet of plastic and it worked well.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 18 Posts