SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Flasher Interference

12/18/18 @ 12:24 PM
INITIAL POST
DeadHead13
User since 12/18/18

First off I am not posting this to create an argument. I have read all the reviews of Vexilar, Mar-Cum, and Hummingbird. I am in the market for a second flasher. I currently have a Vexilar 18 and have used it next to other Vexs and Marcums with no real issue. 

How bad is the interference from one unit to another? Lets say I keep my Vex 18 for my GF and buy myself a Marcum Lx5 will we have an issue if we are in the same shack?

Thank you to any who throw their 2 cents in.  

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
12/19/18 @ 10:20 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have an older Marcum LX5. I have fished with a friend in his shack who uses a Vexilar and with a little tuning on the interference suppressor we have no problems. Once while set up on Green Bay for white fish I was all alone more than 500 yards from anyone. Had two knobs pull up next to me and drill in less than 10’ away. They set up thier shelter and put down a camera and locator. I was fishing in my flip over otter sled. Could hear them talking that there were no fish on their camera, well DUH you just cut in in 8’ of water. It takes awhile for them to come back. Once I marked fish again I turned my Marcum up quite a bit, one remarked to the other his locator must be on the fritz. They soon became frustrated and left. 

12/19/18 @ 7:03 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I have a ice 55 and only had problems once. My brothers ice 35 really screwed my unit up

12/18/18 @ 11:31 PM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15
Before I got my lx7 I used my fl 8 side by side with my buddy's lx7 and never had a problem. But now i run a lx7 and dont see myself running anything else. To me they are the best out there. This past weekend fished next a my buddy who runs a hummingbird ice 55 and he had no interference from me. You just need to know how to fine tune your units.
12/18/18 @ 8:30 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The digital Marcums (LX6/7) throw out 4800 watts peak to peak. The FLX28 throws out 500 ptp. That’s the highest amount of any vexilar. The Marcums are incredibly high and will crush any other unit without IR in terms of blowing up a screen. It’s a fun feature to have because if people have gotten too close for comfort I’ve cranked everything up on my LX7 to blow up their screens to get them to leave. Anyway...

Even with that many watts being thrown out they can be tuned out. The way to do it is to hit the IR on one flasher...not both. If you get punchy on both it won’t be as effective. With that said, you can still mess up someone else who has IR with an LX6/7. Once there is interference most guys freak out and get punchy until they are frustrated and leave. So tune one unit at a time and one unit only. 

12/18/18 @ 4:18 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I agree, my LX-7 blows up friends Humminbird flashers, no experience with the new graphs as I haven't fished with anybody who has one yet.

My fishing partner switched to an Vex 28 he won last year and no issue side by side last weekend.

12/18/18 @ 2:42 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Only units I've ever ran into issues with are the humminbirds. Not to bad-mouth them, they are great units, but they are the only ones that I've personally seen have troubles with the interference.

12/18/18 @ 1:46 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I fish a lot with guys who use Marcums and have never really had any issues. If you do, a couple taps on the IR and you should be good to go. I use a FLX-28 and even with the power that puts out I have never really seen a lot of interference on any of our machines. We had had them no more then 3ft apart without an issue in the Otter without incident.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE