fishing whitefish in Green Bay

3/13/14 @ 11:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
luckyfish
luckyfish
USER since 1/19/14
Haven't fished whitefish. was wondering if anyone could help me out on what type of rods to get, length, light, ultra light, etc., line. would like to get some for pickling. Thanks for your help
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
2/25/15 @ 11:25 AM
gunnysack
gunnysack
USER since 2/24/06
Could have sworn i read or watched something about whitefish being the most healthy eating fish out there? That they had very low levels of pollutants in them????

Post Your Comment
2/23/15 @ 11:38 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I've fine-tuned my whitefishing stuff...

For me,very thin no-stretch line and a stiff rod and a typical slider rig. I have a St. Croix heavy rod and 3lb braid on the reel(4 lb on a second rod/reel).

This setup outproduces the same reel on a medium St Croix or a couple other medium sticks I've used.

Leave the whippy panfish stick in the truck.

You can't feel fish on the lighter sticks or they don't have the backbone (especially with line stretch) to set the hook in time when you DO feel fish....and my inclination for years has been to go with a lighter rod when fishing's tough.

My "aha" moment was when I downsized line from 8lb Powerpro to 3lb. I'd already put away the medium rod..The only thing was that the slider hook sometimes came unbuttoned from that thin line. I found solutions to that too.

I feel bad when I see posts by guys who traveled to SB only to catch 1 or 3 fish,or get skunked....Whitefish are feeding on gobies. Gobies are bottom feeding. If the bottom bait looks like a goby rooting around the bottom and the slider looks like something a goby has kicked up and is "floating" a bit up off bottom...and IF YOU CAN FEEL the very light pickup of a whitefish before it spits it back out...and your rod has enough backbone to set the hook in deep water...you won't likely be posting how you drove up for the weekend and went home with 3 fish.

Edited on 2/23/15 11:46 AM
Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 2:53 PM
pikeboy221
pikeboy221
USER since 4/10/11
does anyone fish out of marinette or peshtigo for whitefish?

Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 11:07 AM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
Now that the ice is better I'm going to give it a shot. Like lots of fishing, there is a balancing act between stealth approach, and getting a big, hard fighting fish on the ice. Expect to lose a few fish at the hole. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing fish on the camera approach your waxie or minnow head only to see it bump into your bait without even trying to eat the bait. I'm a noodle rod fan with light mono line (#2-4). Because there are some swirls of current on Green Bay I usually rig baits 8" off bottom with a small chain of split shot on the bottom. If they don't bite try dropping the food to the bottom. Mixing in a small spoon jigged in the area won't always get bit but it does draw fish into the area. Good luck to all this season!

Edited on 1/13/15 11:13 AM
Post Your Comment
1/13/15 @ 9:34 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
I just had to comment on the recommendation not to eat any whitefish over 16 inches. WHAT????? They aren't worth cleaning until they are over 18 inches and 20 is better. I will have to read the specs. Thanks for the heads up. Mrt.

Edited on 1/13/15 9:35 AM
Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 9:38 PM
RedHorseSucker
RedHorseSucker
USER since 3/20/13
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the whitefish on the bay to be extremely fatty this winter? What is the best way to get rid of this fat when filleting? It seems to stick to the meat pretty good.

Post Your Comment
3/19/14 @ 10:04 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
I've discovered that in deep water I can't work a bait like I need to for a whole day with a light rod. My wrist gets tired and I can't keep up the cadence.

I like a stiffer stick.

Post Your Comment
3/18/14 @ 3:23 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
For deeper water, braid is the only way to go. There is way too much stretch on lighter poundage mono etc for the deep stuff. I tried 4 pound test a couple of years ago in deeper water and it was like fishing with a rubber band.Mrt.

Post Your Comment
3/16/14 @ 6:02 PM
luckyfish
luckyfish
USER since 1/19/14
Thanks for all the input on setting up equipment for fishing whitefish on GB. Much appreciated.

Post Your Comment
3/16/14 @ 7:49 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
I have several medium light 24-28" rods set up for whitefish using the same reels and 4# test mono I panfish with in the summer. I do fish in 15' or less of water. Deep water may need braid for better hook sets. Small jigs like a Genz Worm/Lindy Worm and a slider rig works well for me. A Swedish Pimple or Jigging Rap also work with the slider rig.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts