Finding Bluegills

12/1/14 @ 10:15 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PanAm56
PanAm56
USER since 12/16/13
I am having a heck of a time finding bluegills on Long Lake. I have attached a link to the map of the lake. I use a flasher, and underwater camera. All I can seem to find are perch. We catch bluegills all the time in the summer, but after about mid- September they "disappear." I mark weed edges and nothing is down there. I check the deeper basins as well but they're not there either. All of the weeds I do find on the camera are dead so there is no oxygen being produced. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Our place is on the far southwest end and am limited to traveling on foot so I can't venture too far down the lake unless I drive to the landing. Any spots you might recommend by looking at the map would be appreciated. http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/2674100a.pdf
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
2/5/15 @ 10:30 AM
PanAm56
PanAm56
USER since 12/16/13
Going to be trying again this weekend with another buddy.

Where would you look at this time in the season in the southern portion of the lake?

http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/2674100a.pdf

Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 9:22 AM
tzeilstra
tzeilstra
USER since 8/4/08
jaybee - would one of the lakes you speak of happen to be Upper Nemahbin?

Post Your Comment
12/18/14 @ 7:48 AM
ajs
ajs
USER since 12/19/01
I agree with searching the basins. I fish a few lakes where you need to hunt the mud flats and main basins to find the gills. I usually find them on the steepest edge into the main basin. Theory is that it is a firmer bottm which is more favorable to insect life which is the main forage for gills. I also find gills on deeper transitions from mud to rock or sand.

Ajs

Post Your Comment
12/17/14 @ 9:06 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
I dont know Long lake at all. Outdoorskid's comments are usually true for most lakes, but i do know 3 lakes where all the decent to large size gills are suspended over deep water even at first ice. Can be a drilling project to find them on those lakes, usually over 30 ft of water, but when I do find them, the school is usually large and every gill is over 7 inches. I keep moving with the school, since basin cruisers almost never stay in one spot

Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 9:27 AM
The Outdoorskid
The Outdoorskid
USER since 1/16/12
i know of a lake up north that is very shallow (12ft at max) and it is connected to a smaller lake by a small channel and i have a theory that the gills and crappie migrate from the shallow big lake to the small deep lake cuz we hammer em in the fall and winter in the deeper lake and only a few in the shallow lake but i think your main problem is the clear ice thats why you arent marking any they take off. hope this helps

Edited on 12/16/14 9:28 AM
Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 8:48 AM
PanAm56
PanAm56
USER since 12/16/13
Tried that shallow water as well all the way out to 20 feet of water. Started Drilling in about 5 feet and worked my way out to the break line. Dropped down the Aqua Vu Micro and just brown dead weeds. Pounded a Tungsten Lindy Toad through the dead weeds on the bottom with nothing coming through on my flasher either. I know they usually say that the panfish don't move far from where the hold up in late fall the only problem is I have no clue where they go in late fall. In the spring and summer you can just cast a line off our dock and catch bluegills no problem. Seems about after the middle of September they disappear. We troll around looking for them schooling in the fall with no luck.

jigginfireman I turned my messenger on.

Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 7:25 AM
tzeilstra
tzeilstra
USER since 8/4/08
Outdoorskid, any chance you could ask your questions in this thread? I'd be interested in seeing where he ends up finding the gills Smile

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 2:56 PM
jigginfireman
jigginfireman
USER since 1/27/02
Panam turn on your messanger. I have some questions for you.

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 2:39 PM
The Outdoorskid
The Outdoorskid
USER since 1/16/12
early ice gills are almost always in shallow water with weeds like 4-10 ft give it a try. and if the ice is clear there that is another reason why u arnt catching any. fish are more spooked.

Post Your Comment
12/15/14 @ 8:58 AM
PanAm56
PanAm56
USER since 12/16/13
Tried this past weekend on the east side of that point where you had recommended. Drilled about 30-40 holes in varying water depths and spent all day Friday out there with no luck.Just a few bass in the deeper holes I drilled and some small perch as well. Any other ideas? Was jigging in the dying/dead weeds jigging on the basin as well as the slop leading down to the basin nothing on my flasher at all.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts