Favorite jigging stick. DH Custom Rods vs. Tuned Up custom Rods or other ideas??

1/18/16 @ 10:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pointer Eye Slayer
Pointer Eye Slayer
USER since 4/12/09
Hello everyone, I would like to purchase a few nice jigging rods. I currently use a A variety of different jigging rods for panfish but am not overly impressed with any of them. I am looking at purchasing a custom ice rod or something that's of higher quality. I'd like it to have a feather light tip leading to a solid backbone. I've looked at tickle stick rods in stores and they seem nice, but am not totally sold on the flat tip technology or for that sake, anything made by 13 tackle as their summer rods are brittle garbage. This leaves me thinking about getting a DH custom rods seven deuce or perhaps a tuned up custom rods model. Anyone have experience with any or all of these and have a recommendation as to what the best choice is?? Thanks!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
1/19/16 @ 1:34 PM
bigstorm
bigstorm
USER since 1/10/05
I have a few from each maker

DH Customs - I have the Al Dente and Perch Pounder. Both are great rods. The Al Dente is very sensitive almost to a point I worry that it could be easily broken by mistake (not when catching a fish). the Perch Pounder is great for 1/16oz and up size baits. I have used it on deep water for perch and can feel everything (when I have it set up with braid, with 6lb mono, deep water is not so good)

TUCR - I have the Precision Noodle, Bullwhip and Commander. The Precision Noodle is also a great rod, very sensitive but feels more durable than the Al Dente (to me). The Bullwhip is pretty new to me yet, at first glance, it seems very similar to the Precision Noodle, I need to use both with the same bait to get a better feel on the differences. The Commander is also new but I used it a lot a my trip to Devils Lake. It is a great rod and although it has a heavy backbone, it is still pretty sensitive. I could easily feel a small perch bite (5" perch) with 8lb mono in 20ft of water. I have also used the Quick Tip and that seems to be an all around outstanding rod, sensitive enough to use for panfish (with the right line and a tungston jig or 1/16oz spoon) but also works great with an 1/8oz spoon jigging for walleyes

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 8:35 AM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
I use the St. Croix UL Legend as well, it allows me to adjust the spring bobber from shallow water lighter jigs to deeper water heavier jigs with the same rods. I can adjust to see the negative type bites to that many miss with other rods.

You don't have to have 5 different rods, just one to adjust to your daily needs.

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 7:46 AM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
USER since 8/11/10
Slayer, DH gets my vote ! I have Walleye stingers,Perch pounders,Pannie droppers,Gill getter, But also have a couple Thorne Bros. and their Tripwire is my favorite Wink

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 7:33 AM
boattech
boattech
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I have the DH al dente model and love it. I was looking at the TCR noodle and wasn't going to spend the 100 on that. I talked to DH about their rods last year at the Milwaukee ice show and decided to go with them. Works great for Mendota perching. He actually borrowed a Perch weight from Dick Smith's and put it on the rod to see if I would like it before I bought it.

I may end up buying more rods from them if St. Croix ever emails me back. I may sell all my legend ice rods because of them changing the warranty. I have 6 that are supposed to be lifetime warranty. My father in law got screwed by them this year on an old rod that used to be lifetime and the new ones are not.

Post Your Comment
1/19/16 @ 12:27 AM
catchnfillet
catchnfillet
USER since 9/24/15
Tickle stiks works for me

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 10:46 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
I have acouple buddies that run the tuned up custom rods. My buddy has the power noodle, bull whip, and the quick tip. He seems to like the bull whip or the quick tip the best. He says the power noodle is just alittle to flimsy at the tip. I personally run the ul 24" st.croix legends with spring bobber. I also have two of the wright mcgill noodle rods which to me have the same action as the bull whip and are only 15$.

Post Your Comment