Eskimo Rocket review

1/6/18 @ 3:13 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Hi ... looking to purchase a new auger soon .... have always had Jiffy - larger ones ,, getting to be to much to carry ,,,,, wondering what your suggestions are as far as switching to eskimo ... not familiar with eskimo or lazer mags as far as reliable units ... or maybe I should stick with Jiffy .... Bring it on please , all opinions count... thanks 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
1/13/18 @ 5:23 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I've had an Eskimo propane auger for 3 years now.  

Starts right up every time and is very reliable.  The only thing I don't care for is that it is a bit heavy.  

Very solid runner.  

Post Your Comment
1/11/18 @ 2:14 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Glad to hear you like hte 22 LB F1 Rocket

Post Your Comment
1/10/18 @ 10:16 PM
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Well I got to bust the cherry on new F1 today on Superior with my youngest daughter .... Started it for first time at home and just ran it awhile to , well just run it ... Got out to lake and started punching holes effortlessly ,, just tore thru the ice .. And moving hole to hole was a dream , so light ... I had no issues moving around with this auger by my side ... At 53 yrs old ,,, Good thing I didnt have 20 years ago ,, lakes would have been swiss cheese ... very happy with purchase ...

Post Your Comment
1/9/18 @ 10:07 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

I did not see this post or I would have hopped on sooner.  Many of you know I am on Eskimo's Pro Staff so yes perhaps my opinions may be biased, but I always try to state the facts behind my comments.

Everyone thought that 2 strokes were on their way out, then we released the F1 Rocket that cuts as fast as our Z71 Shark.  The F1 is a 33cc motor that is tried and true and has been around for quite a while.  With the new high speed transmission and the new cast bottom cutting bit that was first released last year on the IonX, we were able to cut weight on this auger and get it to come in at 22 LBS.  That is the lightest gas auger on the market.  The new transmission and cutting head make it a screamer of a cutting machine.

The P1 Rocket, again is the same 40cc motor that we released on our HC40 Propane auger 4 years ago.  We have not had any issues with this motor, it was designed as a propane motor from the ground up, we did not convert a gas motor to propane.  With the new high speed transmission and the cast bottom cutting head, we were able to lose weight on this auger having it come in at 26 LBS, and again is a cutting machine. 

The reasoning behind the cast bottoms and why they cut faster is it does not matter what brand of auger you have, if you have a twin blade auger one of your blades is going to be sharper than the other because one of the blades is doing most of the work.  With the cast bottom we are able to mount the blades in the exact same position that the bit was designed to be mounted in, and get the blades to cut equally efficient, thus getting a faster cut.  

All Eskimo augers have a 5 year warranty on their motors.  Eskimo manufactures their own motors to their own specifications, they manufacture their motors for ice augers and garden equipment.  Because of this, they can offer a 5 year warranty on their motors.

Post Your Comment
1/8/18 @ 2:32 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
USER since 2/17/05

I bought the F1 8" a week ago and no complaints so far.  Runs well and is quick. Probably  have drilled 100 holes so far with it. 

Post Your Comment
1/7/18 @ 3:08 PM
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Bit the bullet , purchased the F1 (two stroke) 10 inch ... hope to put to use this week ... will post afterwards...   5 year warranty cant be beat ... 389.00 at St. Croix 

Post Your Comment
1/7/18 @ 9:40 AM
RustyDuck1
RustyDuck1
USER since 11/16/15

I've got  about 3 trips outta my p1 rocket now. Absolutely love it. Punched well over 60 holes and still have over a half pound in the tank and I'm running a ten inch. I've left it out in 25 below for hours while fishing  to really give it the cold weather test and like normal second pull she popped off. My only complaint is the cheap plastic throttle. Super quiet you can have conversation while it's running. 

Post Your Comment
1/7/18 @ 6:20 AM
Ulbian
Ulbian
USER since 9/24/03

Eskimo has great customer service. Helpful even when your machine is running great. 

Jiffy isn’t what they were before Tecumseh stopped providing engines. Eskimo did their homework on their propane augers and have stayed on top of their gas augers. 

When I fish with a buddy who is hawking Jiffy products as a rep he has always suggested that I bring my Eskimo....because it’s reliable. 

Post Your Comment
1/6/18 @ 9:47 PM
fishinnutinwis
fishinnutinwis
MEMBER since 12/26/01

Im not interested in battery machines , too many issues with people I know .. yes some are good , but too many arent ... also too many issues with propane machines ... call me old school but 2 stroke is fine for me ..

Post Your Comment
1/6/18 @ 8:31 PM
ill catchum
ill catchum
USER since 12/5/08
The new battery options are nice. I run a lazer mag ,24 yrs old and still cuts faster then most . If weight is the issue, 18 volt fuel milwaukee on a 6inch lazer was the ticket today. Over 15 inches on Poygan , over 50 holes.  My lazer mag is a 8 inch.... Love it...

Edited on 1/6/18 8:33 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts