SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Earth Worms for Ice Fishing

12/13/18 @ 5:31 PM
INITIAL POST
Sturgis Rider
User since 12/26/07

I've been ice fishing for about 25 years and have often wondered if you can catch fish in the Summer with garden worms, would they work on the ice? I picked some up today to try this weekend. Has anyone tried using worms and if so, what kind of luck did you experience?

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/13/18 @ 9:29 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

The old dude that taught me how to ice fish used to pinch off 1 1/2 inch of red worm and thread it on the jig like we do with plastic tails nowadays. He always put a pile of fish on the ice doing that. 

12/13/18 @ 9:06 PM
JigDipper
JigDipper
User since 12/19/14

Yes, they work just fine.  

12/13/18 @ 8:37 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I always end up with a container of crawlers at the end of the year. I tried them only one time and did no good. As I recall, I did not get anything that day, no matter what I used. I have some in the fridge right now, so I should give them a try again. I really don't see why wouldn't work. 

I bought a big bag of worm food to fatten up the crawlers that look more like dirty shoe laces that some bait shops sell. The stuff works extremely well. 

12/13/18 @ 6:06 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

Do it all the time.  Just don't let them freeze.  Works on jugs. Spoons or on a size fourteen fly hook when they get real finicky

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE