Early Ice ...Late

1/18/16 @ 9:34 AM
ORIGINAL POST
dfresh
dfresh
USER since 1/2/06
As far as fish movements and feeding habits goes early ice is an excellent time to fish just about anything. my question is, is it still considered "early ice" fishing when we don't get ice until mid january? I know physically, yes , the ice just got on the lake so it's "early ice" but i mean early ice as in their movements and feeding habits goes. What if we didn't get ice until end of february? is that still considered early ice habits? I'd say no. but the professionals on t.v. say technically when we got ice here in early/mid january the fish are still in their "first ice" feeding habits. If anyone is confused on this question. i'm having a hard time wording it on the computer. lol so if you have any questions for me just ask.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
1/21/16 @ 3:15 PM
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
in my honest opinion the fish seem to be in a mid winter bite that being said fish are a cold blooded creature meaning the colder their metabolism meaning the colder the water the less they eat there are other factors that influence the bite as well barometric pressure, the amount of light to penetrate the surface (some fish are "sight" feeders) fishing pressure etc. etc. etc. i know this is as confusing as an answer can be but like i said the bite seems to me at least to be in mid winter form

Post Your Comment
1/18/16 @ 2:36 PM
badgerstatehunter
badgerstatehunter
USER since 2/6/06
from my experience this year, no. first ice in mid-west wisconsin typically falls sometime between thanksgiving and the week before christmas. an average date would be december 10th give or take. early ice is hot on many backwaters i fish. early ice this year was after new years. fish seemed to bite like january fish. we were on 3 inches of ice fishing for finicky fish. at least less fish will be caught/kept this year.

Post Your Comment