drive bys trigger strikes on tip ups ?

1/14/16 @ 6:42 AM
ORIGINAL POST
muskydreamer
muskydreamer
USER since 10/14/06
I have noticed this throughout the years. Anyone else notice if a truck,atv, snowmobile, or train going past you triggers fish to strike on your tip ups? I used to get mad when someone would drive through my spread but when it's slow it turned out to be a good thing they did !
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
1/15/16 @ 1:50 PM
clueless
clueless
USER since 10/24/04
When we fished Chemaquon Bay we use to jump on a sled and take a big loop ride around our tip ups and shanty. Many times it would trigger bites which was mainly coho and browns. We used bang the skimmer on the wood floor of the shanty also and often it triggered bites on our slip bobber setups. On a slow day for flags on inland lakes I always take a drive w/ the truck and "drive" the fish to our tip ups.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 1:34 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
if you put a camera on a tipup you will often see a pike or bass just starring at your bait for what seems like forever. The noise spooks minnow creating what looks like escape response to the predator and causes them to strike.

If you use large enough bait, this is reinforced by number of false trips you get from big shiners or suckers making a run.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 12:40 PM
redhook
redhook
USER since 12/25/09
Things I have seen or used myself are using an anchor to thump the bottom and on Lake Erie starting the engine when fishing perch(vibration from the inboard) I pound the bottom with my jig when fishing sometimes. I have had the same things happen when ice fishing and a vehicle drives by. I fish along the Mississippi river and the train traffic doesn't seem to effect fishing negatively.

Post Your Comment
1/15/16 @ 12:37 PM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09
I've experienced this with pike, bass, walleyes, perch, and crappies.

Lake Winni - fishing slowed down midday - all of a sudden you could hear a train coming at us as a new pressure heave formed from south to north - as the crack was approaching and passing by us 10 yards away, lines started popping, almost every perch we caught during the minute was over 10".

Upper Red - every time our guide drove up to check on us in our sleeper shacks one of the lines would go just as he pulled up and stopped - either crappies or walleyes.

Balsam - tipups set for bass and pike - after a period of inactivity, we'd circle with the trucks to stir them up.

The reason could be two-fold - could be the vibration agitates the minnows, making them more lively and that triggers the fish; could also be the vibration does something to the fish to trigger activity.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 5:54 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
Had it work for both walleyes and pike.

My theory on why it works? Fish are fairly lethargic in the winter. They sit and stare at the minnow for several minutes debating whether or not to eat it. You come driving up making tons of noise, the fish panics, grabs the minnow and darts off.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 3:15 PM
Paintball1084
Paintball1084
USER since 1/2/10
I have stomped around my tipups for pike and had that trigger bites. I think the pike hear noise and finally make the decision to bite

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 2:45 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Years ago there was a great panfish bite on a shallow flowage that had a mud bottom. I'm not sure what it was but I would go drill a bunch of holes and take a long stick to stir up the bottom a little bit just so there was a little mud stirred up. I'd go back and fish those holes 10-15 mins later and would do significantly better in those than just a hole that hadn't been stirred up. I'm not sure if it was something different where fish were drawn to it and they would just come to inspect or if it stirred up food. Either way it did work.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 1:54 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
I've noticed if I drill random holes 50 yds away and go back to where I was fishing that it'll pick up for a little bit. My guess is the fish are fairly inactive and a little noise on top will push them away from the noise.

On bago when a group of us are looking for a new school of fish, we will "leap frog" past each other. The one moving will drive 100 yds from the guys fishing just to see if the noise pushes a school. If someone notices fish during that, we will hone in on that school if it seemed big enough to make it worthwhile.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 7:27 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
When I was a kid we fished the bayous of the river. Used snowmobiles to get there. Every 30 - 45 minutes we would make a lap on the ice and then the flags would fly.

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 7:17 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
It sometimes does for pike. I think the noise gets baitfish moving which in turn, gets pike moving. Most other species I would say no.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts