SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

DON'T BE A SLOB!!!!!

12/11/18 @ 6:07 AM
INITIAL POST
Schloop
User since 3/25/18

I fished several spots north and south of Hwy 82 near The Mississippi River yesterday and one thing was consistent.....there was crap left by ice fishermen everywhere I went!! Bait containers, used hand warmers, snack wrappers, and of course....cigarette butts laying all over the ice and at access points. The ice has only been safe for a week or so and already it looks like there were people everywhere. And everywhere they went, they left all of their crap behind. Wake up you slobs!!! Take your crap with you when you go!! Why is it that people think that they can just throw what they don't want or need on the ground? It looks like crap and it shows that you don't care about the area that you fish in. Put it in your pockets and take it home with you and dispose of it there. I'M NOT YOUR MOTHER!!!!!!

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
12/17/18 @ 11:00 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

To be fair, don't you think it's possible that you see more trash on the ice because it can't sink in open water?

Sure, ice brings more people out that don't have a boat, but there are MANY open-water fishermen that ice fish too, and a leopard can't change its spots.

As for smokers - they don't give a rip about polluting their own bodies.  You think they actually care about the environment?

12/12/18 @ 4:14 PM
maddogg11
User since 12/9/12

Fished yesterday on  Sheb. County lake. Two holes with about 20 cigarette butts and 4 wads of chew around them it looked  terrible.Take a can along and throw your waste in that. Show some respect for others.

12/11/18 @ 4:19 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Badgerstate.....Sounds exactly what i ran into on Lake Onalaska on sunday.  Real discouraging seeing multiple fishing holes littered with cig butts all around them. Not too hard to atleast carry a bucket or can around with you to toss your butts into.

12/11/18 @ 1:30 PM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

Slobs they are.  to bad someone forgot to give these characters a brain.  SAD!!

12/11/18 @ 11:29 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I saw dog crap all over lake ona the other day.  Cig butts by multiple holes.  I just don't get it.  I agree there needs to be a fine or else people will just keep doing this.  Safe ice seems to bring people out of their caves.  You wonder how some of these people function in their daily lives even.  

12/11/18 @ 10:59 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

It is pretty disgusting and sad to see what some people consider ok to do. If it's an empty bait container by a hole, ok...maybe someone dropped it or missed it. But when you're leaving empty propane cylinders and cans and bottles (which I've seen more than a couple busted up), that's just ridiculous. Worse yet imo are people that leave fish on the ice. Some people really need to learn to respect the resource.  

12/11/18 @ 10:00 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

No kidding slobs!!!  I keep my minnow bags in my sled and then use them as a garbage bag.

12/11/18 @ 8:50 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I've noticed that Ice fisherman are probably some of if not the worst when it comes to litter. I fish a lot of the big lakes in northern Minnesota and I've spent plenty of Mondays riding the wheeler or snow machine with a sled in tow cleaning up. Until there are some stiff fines for littering I don't see it changing anytime soon. The sad part is, is that it's not the hard cores for the most part. It's the party group drunks that leave their sh*t all over. Go onto a lake like Wind on a Monday and just look at all the crap left. 

One of the lakes I fish has gotten to the point where the local PD patrol the lake actively for litterers. They load up pretty good on offenders, they also nab the occasional drunk so that's bonus. 

The litter situation will unfortunately only get worse. Ice fishing is a hell of a lot cheaper than open water. 40K for boat and truck vs 100 bucks for a few tip ups. You get one guy in the group that has an auger and now it's him and 50 joe six packs standing around waiting for a flag. The downside of the all the advancements in warm weather clothes and shacks, is that for a fairly small amount of money you can get on the ice. Look at how we are with our boats, we would never get as close to another boat as ice fisherman do to each other. A spot that in summer would have 4 boats tops with 3 people per, in the winter that same spot has 100 people all stuffed on top of each other.

12/11/18 @ 8:19 AM
clayt50
User since 1/23/12

I agree with you Schoolp. Is it really that hard for people to pick up their garbage and take it home with them.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE